We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

Springfield, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

I am stressing about our choice of area that we picked for a weekend trip in May. It's not too late to cancel, so I was hoping for some feedback on safe areas before it gets too late. We are currently booked at the Priory Hotel and all reviews are very good, but by Google Maps, street view, I'm a little concerned about the neighborhood. It will be 2 adults and we want to walk as many places as possible.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

I'm sure many people have stayed at the Priory and had no problems, but there is no reason to stay in an area you are worried about. South Side near South Side Works, Oakland or downtown would be my suggestions, each area has many places to walk to, real city neighborhoods, and I think would not cause you any concern. Of course, bad things can happen at random anywhere, but in general any place a visitor is likely to go in Pittsburgh is pretty safe.

Springfield, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

Thank you for the help!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

The Priory is a beauiful boutique type Hotel on the fringe of Pittsburgh's North Side.To be honest with you, I would not recommend walking after dark in that neighborhood. I don't really think that anyone would bother you there, especially if you're not out alone, but I personally would not want to walk there at night, and I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life. Of course, you could also call a cab, but why go to that expense when it isn't necessary?

Just a few blocks away is what's now called the Northshore. This area is closer to downtown, full of hotels and restaurants, and just feels much safer to me. There are two new "T" stations here as well, which will take you back and forth to town for FREE, and also to Station Square (access to Inclines & Mt Washington-- a couple $$/ride). If you can find something along the Northshore Drive, I think you will be much happier and feel more a part of what's happening. Might be a little cheaper, too.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

You're giving up a real treat if you cancel The Priory for some chain hotel.

Springfield, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

Thank you for the feedback. I think we're going to try the Priory since we can cancel if we don't feel comfortable there after the first night, I booked it directly with the hotel.

6. Re: Safe areas to stay in Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh