We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

PARIS FRANCE
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

I'll be going from New York, NY To: Boston, MA, then Boston, MA To New York, NY .

Then New York, NY to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Then Philadelphia to Pittsburgh then back to fly out of New York, NY.

I found cheap buses (Peter Pan Bus Lines, GotoBus.com) for the top trips but they don't do the Philadelphia to Pittsburgh line it seems.

Greyhound Bus Lines Web only fares is $92.65 - Philadelphia to Pittsburgh Round Trip.

Any other cheap buses (Philadelphia to Pittsburgh )?? or other cheap options out there?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

Depending upon when you are traveling and how far in advance you are purchasing your tickets, you have several options. Amtrak is about $94 round trip. There is only one train per day in each direction but it is much more comfortable than Greyhound. Also Southwest and US Airways offer competitive fares. You'll save a lot of travel time for just a little more money. I just purchased a tickets on SW for $133 round trip including taxes.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

I second the Amtrak run if funds are tight - it's a long ride but the train is far more comfortable that the bus.

http://www.phl.org/terminal_map.html

Here is a list of the airlines that fly out of Philadelphia - I would check to see if you can hop a cheap commuter flight between the 2 cities.

Good luck!

PARIS FRANCE
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

Thank you,

Amtrak sounds good but it seems to get there later in the night & I don't know the city. I'd like to get there in the day to see how safe everything looks.

A flight might be a good option.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

Hitchhike. That would be the cheapest. All kidding aside a buddy of mine not sure what airline was able to get a flight from Philly to Pittsburgh fo $99 R/T.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

Do you need to return to Philadelphia, or could you go from Pgh to NYC? Chinatown-bus.org lists a bus fare of $45 from Pgh to NYC. If that is still operating, that price is going to be hard to beat. Or maybe you could check at one of the many colleges in Pittsburgh, in my day (which was long ago) there were always ride boards (presumably, now a website) and I used to catch rides with people all over the place. You're taking some risk traveling with strangers that is not the case if you're using commercial transportation, but it's a thought.

6. Re: Philadelphia to Pittsburgh , cheap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 22, 2010