We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Driving into Pittsburgh

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TO
Level Contributor
887 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Driving into Pittsburgh

Hello,

We will be driving to the Carnegie Museum of Art on a weekday, in late June, approaching the city from the north. I have never been to Pittsburgh before, and although I have looked at the map, it is difficult to gauge what the driving will be like.

Is it a difficult city to navigate? Any input is most appreciated.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time Driving into Pittsburgh

The route is easy once you get onto 90 west and pick up 79S in Erie. The only patches of traffic you may encounter on 79 is around Grove City(shopping outlets) Cranberry and Wexford. Take care at the 279/79 split there is construction going on now and I suspect will continue for a bit longer. This is the site for congestion with people crossing lanes construction or not. Can seem like a free for all depending on the time of day. People in the passing lane left are trying to cross over to continue south on 79 and people entering the highway from Wexford and slower lanes are crossing to take 279 south towards the city. IMO compared to other cities in the Northeast Pittsburgh is fairly easy to get around. A triptik from AAA most often is more accurate than relying on Mapquest.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
507 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time Driving into Pittsburgh

I saw the title and was afraid that'd I was going to read: "oh, it's easy, you'll have no problems" ;)

One note is that when you are on the lower decks of the highway they like to stuff the signs up in between the rafters of the top portion - so it's near impossible to see the signs. I've been to Pittsburgh well over 20 times and still get turned around at some point, guaranteed. I've never done it with a GPS, but I have to imagine it'd be worth having one solely for this city.

Have good time (seriously), it's a nice city despite it's driving drawbacks. It's also pretty cheap, all things considered.

13. Re: First Time Driving into Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 25, 2009