We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel with dining and parking on-site

state college, pa
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best hotel with dining and parking on-site

coming to UPMC first week in April for a dr. visit for my son (the office is on south water street) we are trying to decide between the Sheraton, Westin, Renaissance, or Doubletree suites in town..i will be driving and will definetly want valet parking. i will have two teenagers with me so walking around at night shouldn't concern us but i would like a really nice place to eat either in the hotel itself or very close by. We have stayed at the Sheraton before; it was fine but i don't think they have valet parking? also stayed at the Hilton and Marriott; but aren't considering them this time. Thanks so much!!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

I know for sure the Renaissance has valet parking and it is very nice. Opus is the in-house restaurant and it is OK but there are plenty of good options nearby - Six Penn, Nine on Nine, Sonoma Grille, Seviche.

Of the other three you mentioned, probably the Doubletree gets the best reviews here. The Doubletree has a very upscale restaurant called Bigelow Grille. Good luck!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

I think the Sheraton does have valet parking. Since the Westin, Omni and Ren are 4 star hotels, I would think they all would provide valet service.

state college, pa
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

thanks for those that responded!! i will do a little more searching...friends of ours said that the sheraton in station square is probably our better option? any opinions? we have stayed there but again want a little more up scale and better fine dining/

thanks again!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

While I haven't stayed at the Sheraton, I think the location really is good for everything. There is shopping, restaurants, the Incline, and you are just across the river from downtown.

state college, pa
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

i booked the renaissance and sheraton; i will cancel

closer to the day depending on what i find in terms of where we'll eat, etc. the only negative for the renaissance is they aren't able to guarentee 2 dbl beds; and that is a must with my two big!! teen boys; so i guess that would be a deal breaker. Is is possible to walk from the Sheraton in Station square to 3200 south water street? or is driving/taxi a better option...thanks again for the advice!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

No, you wouldn't want to make that walk. It would be a very easy drive down Carson Street, and add 5 minutes, depending on traffic, if you're coming from the Renaissance. Cab service in Pgh. is not the greatest.

state college, pa
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

thanks penzgirl for the reply; thought it may not be a good walk...if we were to stay at the renaissance wouldn't they be able to get a cab for that short ride to south water street? (not sure i'd want to take my car for that short of a ride?)

thanks!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

Definitely go with the Renaissance -- is beyond a doubt the best in town. Also, pittsburgh is not a great place to grab a cab, but if you are staying downtown, is not a problem. Ask the bellman for some cabbie's #s and they will give you plenty for a late-night return.

As far as restaurant, Opus is very good (plus excellent wines) as is Nine on Nine (which has very nice prix fix menu).

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting a cab from the hotel, but getting back you'd probably have to take the cab service phone number, call and wait for them to show up. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the drive. If you're at the Sheraton, facing away from the river, just turn left onto Carson, the big road that runs past Station Square. Follow it a couple of miles, past South Side Works, until you see the UPMC complex on your left. If you're at the Renaissance, you just drive 5 minutes through town to Smithfield Street and go across the bridge to Carson. The hotel should be able to direct you.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,201 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best hotel with dining and parking on-site

For restaurant options, see some of the earlier posts on Sonoma Grille, Palamino, or maybe Capital Grille. They are all walkable.

In the event you need a lift, some downtown hotels offer a courtesy shuttle for the immediate area.