We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman alone in city

northport, ny
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Woman alone in city

Hello - I am 42 and considering a visit to the Vet Tech Institute on 7th Street, 15222. If I enroll here I'd move from a NY suburb and want to rent close to school and within walking distance of grocery stores, bank, etc. as I do not like to drive. I heard it's a very walkable, liveable city, but how safe? Will I find a mix of people in my age range here? Thanks for any guidance, I'd like to visit in the next week or so.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woman alone in city

I would say check into the South Side, primarily 20th street-23rd off East Carson Street. There is a big Giant Eagle Supermarket there, Fashion bug, hair care, dentist, and Southside has LOTS of restaurants. As far as finding people your age, well, that won't be too difficult, if you go to bars...if you don't there is a library, public pool, churches, walking trail along the river. You can take these buses to and from home, 51A, 51B, 51D these all run on East Carson street, it's a quick 10 minutes from downtown to Southside. I don't drive either and enjoyed 7 great years on the Southside, I was in my early forty's too. It can be as crazy or as laid back as you want. Best of Luck.

Lorithechick

pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Woman alone in city

Hi.

I am a 56-year old African man. The 15222 Zip-code suggests an area near a residential area called Wilkinsburg, and ABC-affiliate WTAE-TV Station. I don't know the school. Wilinsburg is cheap, but is a bad neighborhood for some people. The other nice areas neaby include Edgewood, Churchill, Monroeville. But these would no be within walking distance rom the school.

Good Luck.

Takawira.

shumba2@aol.com

Pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Woman alone in city

You definately want to live on the Southside. Young professionals, some students, affordable housing. Interesting, diverse neighborhood. Close to everything.

PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Woman alone in city

Cammy,

This school is right downtown. Don't worry about Wilkinsburg, you won't be anywhere near it.

I have to agree with looking on the Southside. If you want to live really close to school (within walking distance), there are apartments across the allegheny river at Allegheny Center, but you will be bored out of your mind there. It's mostly young people who live there and there is nothing around.

If you don't like the Southside, you can check out the Strip District. There are places to live there, but again I think it's a younger crowd.But at least there are a few places to go around there.

Your best bet is definitely the Southside. You'll really enjoy living there.