We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

Have Hampton Inn points to us and plan 2 nights in Pittsburgh end of Sept. For our one full day (Sat) want to go to the market, take the boat tour, take the incline and have dinner on Mt. Washington. Might try to see the Chihuly exhibit on Friday. Hampton in West Mifflin and on McKnight Hwy have vacancies; which would be easier (less complicated) driving for what we want to do. We would consider other similar chains and use points another time if there is a better location--don't want to stay downtown.

Also, anyone know about Georgetown Inn for dinner? I'm told casual dress is appropriate there. We want nice casual, not dressy--any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
Pennsylvania
West Mifflin
West Mifflin
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

There is a BRAND NEW Hampton Inn that opened in the Strip District on Smallman Ave.

As far as the West Mifflin (south) or McKnight (north) chains, both are equally a pain in the tukus drive.

The West Mifflin one is on Lebanon Church Rd and the ride up Rte 51 to downtown is a lot of traffic, narrow road and lots of stoplights.

The McKnight one is probably a better bet because you can jump right on I-279 and get downtown. I'd chose that one of the West Mifflin one anyday.

I've never gone to Georgetown Inn, but it looks nice. We always ate at the Grandview Saloon which has changed it's name now to Coal Hil something or other at Grandview. Great menu, casual, and loads of indoor or outdoor seating with great views of downtown.

Mentioned in this post
The Strip District
The Strip District
2,460 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
West Mifflin
West Mifflin
Pennsylvania
McKnight
McKnight
Pennsylvania
The Grandview Saloon
The Grandview Saloon
231 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

Thanks, Gypsy. Is the Coal Hill a place where casual dress is acceptable? Any other neighborhoods more convenient where I should look for hotel? Really don't want to stay downtown.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

I'm not sure of your budget, but there is a Sheraton right in Station Square. If you'll have a vehicle, you can stay in Greentree or even further out towards the airport where you'll find lower rates.

The Robinson Twp area has great shopping but it's all samie-samie - stores you can find anywhere.

When we've gone to Grandview Saloon (now Coal Hill) we always went casual - we're not big dressup people.

Mentioned in this post
Station Square
Station Square
337 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
The Grandview Saloon
The Grandview Saloon
231 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

I would suggest that you stay at the Hampton Inn in the Strip District. It's not technically downtown, but will be much more centrally located for all you plan to do. Plus, with the 10th street bypass nearby, access to the parkways is quite easy. If you're opposed to staying there, I would say McKnight Road over West Mifflin.

Georgetowne Inn is nice, but might be slightly mroe dressy than you're looking for. I would recommend the old Grandview Saloon (Coal Hill now I guess) for more casual dining with equal views. I haven't been there since the name changed, but the outdoor dining was great!

Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
The Strip District
The Strip District
2,460 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
West Mifflin
West Mifflin
Pennsylvania
Georgetowne Inn
Georgetowne Inn
114 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
The Grandview Saloon
The Grandview Saloon
231 Reviews
Pittsburgh, PA
Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

Thanks for responses. Looks like Coal Hill would be our best best for casual nice dinner. Still having issues on the hotel. Hampton in the Strip or Holiday Express in Southside not available. Would Greentree or Robinson Twp be more accessible than McKnight Hwy? Trying to use Hampton points or stay in that level hotel price range.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

Greentree is very close to the city - less than a mile or 2 from the Fort Pitt Tunnels.

Robinson is a little farther, but it's a relatively easy drive on the parkway into town, as long as it's not rush hour. There is some major construction around the I-79 interchange and it can get backed up.

If you can get into a Greentree Hilton/Hampton then go for it.

Also, you can try Moon Twp - there is a Hilton, Hampton, Doubletree etc by the OLD airport side and it too is a straight shot out the parkway to downtown.

7. Re: Pittsburgh Hotels and Mt Washington Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 08, 2009