We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phipps Conservatory

south jersey
Level Contributor
239 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Phipps Conservatory

Hello, I would like to take my family to the Phipps Conservatory. Is tis a safe area to visit? How long does it take to visit. I will be driving from New Jersey, staying in Pittsburgh for 2 days. Thanks for any helpful information!! Art

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phipps Conservatory

Phipps is in a very nice area, behind CMU and on the edge of the Pitt campus. You should not worry about safety. It is just a couple blocks from Carnegie Art Museum and Natural History Museum, which are also worth visiting. The main branch of Carnegie Library is part of that big complex, and is worth looking at too, a beautiful old library which has been updated in an interesting way and has a coffee shop on the first floor.

I assume you're coming to see the Chihuly exhibit at Phipps? It is worth a trip, and I would allow at least two hours to go through the conservatory and the surrounding grounds. At first advance tickets were required, but that policy seemed to be changing even for non-members, so you should call to get the current position on this.

Another attraction near Phipps are the Nationality Rooms at Pitt, which are classrooms decorated to reflect the customs and crafts of different nationalities. Tours are offered pretty often, but you should plan ahead if you want to do this, as you'll see a lot more on a tour than just wandering around.

Have a great trip.

2. Re: Phipps Conservatory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 28, 2009