We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from NY to Pittsburgh

Antwerp
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
getting from NY to Pittsburgh

hi, my daughter will be coming next summer to visit this Anthrocon event in July

Since she travels from Europe, I think the cheapest might be to take a non stop flight to NY and then from there catch a train to Pittsburgh

It doesnt seem to be such a long way or am I getting it wrong?

Should she really get a transfer by plane?

We still have some time to look at the options but it's best to start early I thought

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from NY to Pittsburgh

Cookie, my cousin lives in Manhattan and used to take the Amtrack train in to Pittsburgh when coming home. It is an 8 hour trip by train because of all the stops.

If she has time to kill, the train is a very nice and inexpensive way to get here.

However, Airtran and JetBlue are both low cost carriers that fly into Pittsburgh, so you should look at them for her trip in. I think both fly out of Newark, which is LESS expensive than either NYC airport.

Since she's coming from overseas on a very long flight, I would imagine she wants to get here as soon as possible, so I think a connecting flight would be best. The rates are comparable to taking the train and you only have a 90 minute flight instead of an 8 hour train ride.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from NY to Pittsburgh

Compared to Europe, taking the train in the US is just not very efficient. If you can find connecting flights that aren't too much more expensive, she should definitely fly.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
657 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from NY to Pittsburgh

Years ago our family took Amtrak from Pittsburgh to NYC. My advice? Do NOT take the train. It frequently runs late (hours late!) and I wouldn't want my daughter alone in that area of town at night. Unfortunately, our train system is nothing like Europe's. There are usually cheap flights if you check around. Consider flying into Philly and then on to Pittsburgh.

Mentioned in this post
rwa
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from NY to Pittsburgh

What carolph advises is good. Skip the train. Seedy and less reliable. Not like the rail systems in the UK and Europe at al.

I'd advise a flight embarking from her European locale to Philadelphia International Airport ... then timed with a Southwest Airlines flight (or another ... but Southwest would be my choice from my experience and from what I read of the financial health of the airlines, i.e. United and USAir and AirTran). I would be cautious of booking a flight too far in advance with any of them. But I prefer PHL to Kennedy anytime. Newark has an Int'nl. airport, but give me Philly anyday ... much better facility, and easy to navigate from gate to gate for transfers.

Southwest (go to their dot com site) has run PHL to PIT low-fare promotions during the summers of '06 and '07 have been as low as $39 (2006) & $49 (2007) ONE WAY (then add airport fees and taxes). You can, of course, book RT at the same promotional fares.

As you are starting your itinerary early, be aware that the promotional fares of which I write here will not be determined nor available until 2008.

Anyway, you are wise to look early and ask here. Good luck.

P.S. A stopover/ side-trip in Philadelphia (great city, reasonalble propotions and deals in the summer, good food, historic & fun for the young at heart is often overlooked), rather than the crowded and expensive NYC is something to consider, perhaps?

Mentioned in this post
Southwest
Southwest
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Antwerp
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from NY to Pittsburgh

I checked with a company in Belgium already but what she wants to do now seems reasonably expensive

she first wants to go to this Anthrocon event in July, stay in Pittsburgh for a few days and then travel on to Oregon from where she would return home again

I heard that the fact that she explores more of the US (going to Oregon) is not expensive but it's the 2 big trips from different locations that make it expensive

I've been to Florida 3 times now and usually book my tickets in January to get a cheap flight at the end of August, however she needs to travel in July, will it be possible to get cheaper flights then?

thanx for all the info

and btw she wasn't planning to visit NY, I just thought she might have non stop flight to NY and take the train (which she won't do now)

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
6. Re: getting from NY to Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, September 06, 2009