We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

We will be coming to Kenney Chesney concert at heinz field in June. We are looking for a grocery store nearby to buy food for our tailgate party. We are staying at the doubletree city center on bigelow square. Is there a giant eagle or some other grocery store close by, thanks

Paris/Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

There is not a Giant Eagle directly "down town," however there is one on the North Side (Where Heinz Field is) near Allegheny Center. Also if you want to do the local tourist thing. Only about a mile from your hotel is Penn Mac in the Strip District. I would recomend a trip there if you have the time.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

There really are no decent grocery stores in or near downtown. It's a business area. The Giant Eagle on the North Side is pretty bad. You might want to consider bringing a cooler and stopping somewhere on the way down 79. Otherwise, I don't know what your time frame is, but the Strip might be your best option, though you'd have to go from store to store to get what you want - Wholey's and Penn Mac are probably the best in terms of variety. Good luck!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

You can check out www.neighborsinthestrip.com for information on shops in the Strip District to shop. Otherwise, I suggest the Shadyside Giant Eagle, which is really great at 5550 Centre Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15232. It is about 12 minutes from your hotel. You would take Bigelow Boulevard from downtown.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

Hi, thanks for the information. We will defintely check out the strip area. I also found a giant eagle South Side. Mapquest says its only 1.65 miles from our Hotel. Would this store be alright. Thanks again for all your help.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

Are you going to have a car with you? You should be fine at the South Side Giant Eagle. It sounds close by but don't attempt to walk it.

6. Re: Pittsburgh downtown grocery stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 02, 2009