We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CMU visit and review

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Tx.
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
CMU visit and review

My daughter and I stayed 2 nights at the Shadyside Inn last week while she toured CMU. Overall, it was an enjoyable visit. We stayed in the location on Negley. This was an easy walk from the main locaton on Fifth. We had a one bedroom apartment with a full kitchen and a large living room. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The main improvement would be adding drapes to the windows to cut drafts and street noise. But I would definitely stay there again if she chooses to go to CMU. The Shadyside Inn gives a college visit discount.

The Shadyside neighborhood was fun to explore. Walnut St. has great shopping. We ended up eating a very late dinner at Cappy's Cafe on Walnut both nights. Cappy's has good salads, burgers and pasta specials at reasonable prices. We also visited Prantl's Bakery twice! Everything is good at Prantl's and much less expensive than here in Austin.

We rode a city bus to Southside to shop at H &M. It would have been nice to have had more time to explore that area, but unfortunately we were short on time and it was very cold with blowing snow. Before leaving Pittsburgh, we did visit and have lunch at the Carnegie Art Museum.

In regards to transportation goes, we rode the Airport Flyer bus to and from the airport, which was easy and economical. The walk to the Shadyside Inn from CMU is several blocks and takes about 15 to 20 minutes. We traveled fairly light so it was doable. This is also a pleasant and scenic walk to and from campus through a lovely neighborhood.

Austin, Tx.
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CMU visit and review

I just want to add a compliment about Pittsburgh and their friendliness. Everyone in the shops and at CMU was very friendly. If my daughter chooses to go to school there, one of the reasons will be because of the city's warm and welcoming attitude.

2. Re: CMU visit and review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:29 am, August 30, 2009