We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
48 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

Hi, My husband is visiting Carnegie Mellon University for one week in March (near Carnegie Museum of Art). We all (2 adults + 2 teenagers) are traveling to Pittsburgh and hope to get some tips where to stay. Also, while my husband is working, any suggestions what to do and what to see with teenage boys (without car)?

Also, is there any public soccer field around, where the boys can practice their skills?

5 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

I’d consider staying:

Oakland- most convenient to CMU

Bakery Square- still convenient and lots of shopping and eating in walking distance. It’s where Google’s headquarters are.

Downtown- plenty to see and do on foot.

Waterfront- your basic shopping/dining/ entertainment area but along the river. Very fast drive to CMU. Not very unique though there are some good places to eat. But, without a car, I probably would pick another area.

Uber and Lyft are easy to come by. The PAT bus system works well Oakland/ Downtown/Bakery Square/ east end in general.

Schenley Park will be a good place to practice though it’s likely booked for official practices after school hours. Pittsburgh has a lot of great parks though. Look into the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy website- it’ll give you the lowdown on them.

Edited: 4:39 pm, December 03, 2017
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

This may not be the biggest hit with teenage boys, but you should be able to walk to the indoor greenhouses of the Phipps Conservatory. My girls liked to shop the stores on Walnut Street in Shadyside. In the Oakland area there are a lot of educational places that you can walk to, including the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History. It's pretty easy via public transit to get to downtown and the North Side. On the North Side is the Warhol Museum, the Aviary, and the Mattress Factory. I also like the Carnegie Science Center on the North Side, even though it is targeting younger kids; they have a submarine and a huge model train display. Also via public transit you can get to the Inclines, century old commuter funiculars that climb to the top of Mount Washington. From there you get a good view of the city. In addition to athletic fields on the CMU campus that might be open, there is a lot of large open lawn space in the area that the boys might be able to use.

Edited: 2:59 pm, December 06, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
48 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

Thanks for the tips, actually all these museums etc sound very interesting!

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

I see that the real Pittsburgh volunteers that maintain this page have included a link to a list of suggested sites and activities. It is on the upper right side of the full webpage (non-mobile version) under top questions about Pittsburgh. If you are interested in museums there is the Heinz History Center downtown. It covers the local history including a short segment on the local Native Americans and a big section on local manufacturing and sports teams. From the top of Mount Washington you can get a view of the ramparts of the British Fort Pitt (right at the point where the rivers come together). One point of interest at the Carnegie Natural History Museum is that the extensive dinosaur fossil collection is all real and not made up of reproductions.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,151 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?

Include a visit to the Duquesne Incline

Reply to: Visiting Carnegie Mellon, where to stay? What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted