We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring shopping

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
spring shopping

Hi. Can anyone recomend places for high end shopping? Looking for good giftware & vases. Thanks in advance. I.T.S.

USA
Level Contributor
54 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring shopping

Try South Side Works. It's a great little shopping area on an old steel mill site. Go to Z Gallerie, Puma, Urban outiftters, Black House White Market, then eat at Cheesecake Factory or McCormick and Schmicks.

Also check out the Waterfront area not far from SSW. It was also built on a steel mill site and is a mix of specialty, big box, and entertainment.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring shopping

Hi-I'd try Shadyside. It has two shopping areas, Walnut St. and Ellsworth Ave.. Walnut is the more chainy, but also has some very high end locally owned shops. I think Ellsworth would have more of what you're looking for, it is a little more artsy.

The suburb of Sewickley would also be a very good option. There is a very nice gift/kitchenwares shop whose name escapes me but for some reason I think might be Cheeks. Travelwares also has beautiful stuff. There are other shops I've never even ventured into because they look too intimidating!

If you find yourself in the Strip District, do stop at Mahla Antiques, really unique stuff and lots of it. Also Hot Haute Hot.

Finally, an area that is a bit more gritty and would take a little more exploring, but if you're up for it, I'd recommend Lawrenceville. Butler Street has lots of small locally owned shops with cute, unusual stuff.

Happy shopping!

fort wayne
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spring shopping

Saks Fifth Avenue Down Town

Macy's Down Town

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spring shopping

The gift shops at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts (Fifth and Negley)and The Sarah Scaife Gallery (at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Oakland) have some beautiful, high-end pieces. You also might find something nice at the Pittsburgh Design Center on Smallman in the Strip or at the Pittsburgh Glass Center on Penn. Both of those places have rather small inventories with high turnover, so you never know what you're going to find, but they often have gorgeous one-of-a-kind things.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spring shopping

Oops, sorry, the place I called the Design Center on Smallman is actually called the Society for Contemporary Craft. They have a map and contact list there of lots of other small fine craft and jewelry outlets, too.

6. Re: spring shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 21, 2009