We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in 1 day

Which Pittsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in 1 day

I just received word last night that I have friends coming here in July or August. They have never been to this area. We will have one day, possibly 2, to spend in the city. What would be recommended as "must-do's"? I thought a ride up the incline to see the views, then back down for a ride on the gateway clipper, and maybe a ball game as they are huge sports fans. Maybe lunch at Primanti Bros. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in 1 day

Pandora715.....You have covered quite a few of the highlights of our city. If your friends are huge sports fans, why not spend some time at the Pittsburgh Sports Museum?

You mentioned Primanti's...spending an afternoon at the strip would be fun. How about taking them to the newer Southside Works? Southside is a place like no other!

Depending on what month they decide to visit.....

July 1-4 Three Rivers Regatta

July 14-15 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Races

August 10-12 Shadyside Arts Festival

Maybe a few hours at the Pittsburgh Zoo or a trolley ride through the city or talk a walk down to the Point......

Karyn....

Charlotte, North...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in 1 day

Hi there Pandora715,

I was just thinking of a few things that might be fun in the summertime. Kennywood park is an old Pittsburgh tradition. Must do a ball game at the park....too beautiful to pass up. Do Pamela's for breakfast...anytime my friends and family are in town they always beg for the crepe-style pancakes. Original hotdog shop fries are always a hit. Have drinks/appetizers at the bar in Monterey Bay after hours, the view is awesome! Then you can simply walk across the street to the incline. Oh, and Fat Head's on Carson is always great for sandwiches, beer, and fun.

Have fun!

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in 1 day

If they're into this kind of thing, the Warhol Museum is something you won't find anywhere else.

I think the Strip in general is pretty cool for non-Pittsburghers. -- They have to try Enrico's Biscotti and I would vote for breakfast at De Luca's over Pamela's, but that's just a personal preference. They also have the Sen John Heinz Historical Center there, which usually has some pretty neat Pitttsburgh-related (and often sports-related) exhibits that are not at all dry and museum-like.

Dessert at Gullifty's? I've heard they've gone down hill a bit, but how far wrong can you go with cake?

And for a splurge and amazing views (if you ask to be seated in the River Room), there's the insane Sunday brunch at Grand Concourse. Another only-in-Pittsburgh experience and you won't have to eat again for a week.

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in 1 day

If you want something really fun, do the "Ducky Tour" I did it with my Red Hat group and when you can get 30 ladies to agree that it was the most fun they have had in a while you know it must be good. It is also very informative about the area.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in 1 day

Thnak you all for your help. I'm not real familiar with the city myself, I know nothing at all about south side. (I'm in Butler County) I would like the opportunity to experience some of these things too, its just a shame that we have to get visitors in from out-of-town to take the time to see it ourselves.

6. Re: What to see in 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 24, 2009