We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ohiopyle or Confluence?

sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Ohiopyle or Confluence?

Planning 4 nights midweek in May in this area to bikeride/hike & look at FLW fallingwater with 3 other friends.

Some blogs talk of load trains passing thru here 24/7 !!! Any feedback from anyone would be great as the lodge/hotel owners ignore this question when ask via email . As you can imagine ... I've chosen this area for its mountains and non-touristist status - have i got it right or wrong?

Has anyone stayed at "Hummingburd Lodge" in ohioplye?

We are coming from Australia, so I'll be skinned alive by my friends if this area is crowded and noisy. Its our 1st visit to the Eastern states.

Does anyone have a advise on which town i should stay in as Confluence a lot more reasonable $$.

tks

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ohiopyle or Confluence?

midweek in May should be very quiet in the Laurel Highlands, with the only exception being during Memorial Day (which is actually the 31st in 2010). I prefer Ohiopyle to Confluence, but this is just personal preference. I have never stayed in an inn or hotel. Always been camping in this area. This is a popular kayaking/WW rafting area, but the crowds tend to only come in on the weekends.

I love this area, one of my faves in the state. Have a great time!

sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ohiopyle or Confluence?

thank for the update. you have reassured me no end with your comment on no crowds in mid may. This was my main concern as i saw some photos on web with tons of people hiring bikes in Ohiopyle.

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ohiopyle or Confluence?

OK... have been and would recommend Confluence over ohiopyle

Much nicer accommodation and cheaper

Train noise is the same in both towns - so not good for light sleepers

Ohioplye is too touristy and loads of tourists

4. Re: Ohiopyle or Confluence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Ohiopyle