We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laurel Highlands Questions

Level Contributor
786 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Laurel Highlands Questions

We are thinking of visiting FallingWater, Kentuck Knob, and Ohiopyle State Park and have a few questions.

1 - Are there any major attraction in the area that we are missing that we should see?

2 - Is there a good central hotel in the area?

3 - Are FallingWater and Kentuck Knob very different or is it only necessary to see one of them?

4 - Do you have restaurant suggestions?

Wilderness Voyageurs
Fishing Charters & Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Climbing Tours, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laurel Highlands Questions

Ah..the Laurel Highlands! This brings back some good memories. Unfortunately, my visit was about 10 years ago..far from recent. I will take a stab at somem of your general questions.

Definitely see both Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. They are both quite different in style. Kentuck Knob is not nearly as large and reminded me more of a vacation home that I would choose. It was interesting seeing the differences. Fallingwater really fits into the landscape.

I'd see Johnstown and possibly ride the Incline Plane and visit the flood museum. There's also an area outside town operated by nps. The story behind the floods, especially the one of 1889, is really fascinating.

I will leave hotel suggestions to someone with a more recent stay.

As for restaurants, I still remember the Oakhurst Tea Room in Somerset. They are known for their smorgasboards, which were much better quality than your typical chains.

Have a great visit!

Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Laurel Highlands Questions

A lot depends on how long you can be there! Try laurelhighlands.org for some ideas and check some previous posts here too!

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
648 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laurel Highlands Questions

Have you considered staying at Seven Springs Resort? They do sometimes have good bargain rates. Lots to do there, especially if you have kids. Probably a 1/2 hr. drive from Ohiopyle. Other suggestion: Summit Inn just outside of Uniontown or if price is no object, Nemacolin. Believe me, there are no good places to stay in Ohiopyle itself.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laurel Highlands Questions

Hello From Ohiopyle,

major attractions--- depends what you are into, but there are a number of options;

Into history? Fort Necessity- first battle of the french and Indian War, Friendship Hill- home of Albert Gallatin-- both of these are National Park Service sites

Nemacolin Woodlands is a 5 star resort located 8 miles south of Ohiopyle, a lodging, dining and attraction wrapped into one-- it is worth the visit just to check out the bizarre "fusion" architecture, and the Hardy Family art collection

check out both Wright homes while in the area, they ar extremely different, and from different periods of FLW career.

Hotels--- the recommendation of laurelhighlands.org is the best source of travel info for the area, they are the official visitors bureau.

Summitt Inn, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley resort are all good options

5. Re: Laurel Highlands Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:39 am, December 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ohiopyle