We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

My husband and I will have one day to visit Lancaster and we are interested in visiting Amish country. I am aware that there are many tours, ie, buggy rides, homestead viewings, etc. Our hope is to visit the most original and best tours, restaurants, museums etc., with the help of our fellow tripadvisors.

Please help!

NPM

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

I would stop at the tourist bureau's welcome center and watch the film, get brochures and ask questions.

I'd also highly recommend the Heritage Museum on the square in downtown Lancaster, and maybe do a walking tour while there. Try to visit on a market day (Tues, Thurs, Sat)...this is just around the corner from the museum & a "must see."

To me, there's really no such thing as "authentic" Amish tours, buggy rides, etc., but some are more informative than others.

Take in a few of these touristy things, but save some time to just explore on your own & mingle with "real live Plain people" instead of just asking questions about them..

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

sorry...Central Market days are Tues, FRI & Sat, not Thurs.)

There are other markets but this one is the best & the building alone is worth the visit.

There are way too many tourists that never visit downtown Lancaster & it's a shame...its a very interesting place.

California
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

I was actually thinking of going to Bird in Hand instead of Lancaster so your input is much appreciated. Unfortunately, we will be going on a Sunday, not a Sat so we won't be able to experience the Market place.

Thanks for the info and any other comments that might help will be greatly appreciated.

NPM

easton pa
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

hi there. we just came back from our second trip in a year. last year we took what i think is called "aaron and jessica's" amish buggy tour. we had a great ime last year in a small "authentic" buggy with a true amish man. there were five of cramped into this buggy and we learned a lot. well, apparently, this has become the most popular buggy ride and they have now graduated to long wagons that accomodate about 20 people.....hardly the almost intimate one on one service we got the year before. also, there is a long wait, b/c it is a popular stop since they offer coupons. i would stay away from there, as we did and drove back down the road to where we saw a smaller buggy ride stand on the main road, which may have bee called "abe's buggy rides" or something similar. this is an authentic amish buggy ride, in small buggys with authentic old order amish. the stand in run by a brother and sister and ranges from 20-40 minutes depending on which route ou want to go. oh, also the fist buggy ride took us to two farms where we were almost pressured to buy "amish made goods" which was basically junk, but not on this tour. also, remember they really don't operate on sundays, so be sure not to go then.

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

I live north of Lancaster County and have several Amish neighbors living nearby.

I've never actually seen any of these "authentic" Amish Buggy tours, but if I were a betting person, I'd bet the person giving the tour is not of the Amish sect but more likely from a related sect such as the Mennonites or Brethern.

If you do have someone taking you on a tour of "actual" Amish homesteads, please keep the following in mind.

Old order Amish usually shun the use of electronic equipment in their homes and while they are not likely to point it out to you, it is considered rude for a guest to use a cell phone in an Amish home.

Old order Amish generally do not allow themselves to be photographed, because it conflicts with their religious views against exhibiting pride.

Old order Amish are typically very private, believing in being separate from the world around them. So, please don't take it personally if you try to strike up a conversation and find that it seems you are being ignored.

California
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

Those are really good suggestions. Thanks All. Really appreciate it

NPM

7. Re: What are the best and most original Amish tours etc.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 14, 2009