We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amish country Saturday-Monday

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Amish country Saturday-Monday

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are thinking of taking a last minute road trip to Amish country this weekend, Saturday 6/1-Monday 6/3. Looking for suggestions on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc. We typically stay in hotels but for this weekend would prefer a small inn or B&B to get a more authentic experience. I'm not familiar with the area so I don't know which towns/villages would be best. Activity wise I would love to see some of the countryside and shop for local goods/crafts. Also interested in a tour to learn about Amish history, etc but don't want anything too inauthentic or touristy. We don't mind self driving the back roads to see some of the sights, but would welcome a suggested route or itinerary so we are not driving aimlessly. Finally, I understand that many businesses are closed on Sunday in religious observance, so we would welcome suggestions on activities we might enjoy on a Sunday afternoon.

One last thing - we are a 20-something year old couple so if anyone has suggestions on restaurants/bars/nightlife in the area that would be great. Thanks!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

Well, first you may want to visit the excellant tourist website www.padutchcountry.com to get some ideas and narrow your choices

The tour I usually reccomend would be the Mennonite Information Centers tour where a Mennonite guide rides with you in your car directing you to Amish businesses on the backroads. Not offered on Sunday .

www.mennoniteinfoctr.com

Lancaster Central Farmer market which would only be open Saturday during your visit should not be missed. Go in the morning for best selection.

For local crafts the quilt shops I would reccomend would be Riehls(located on an Amish Farm), Sylvia Petersheim in Bird -In-Hand, Village Quilts in Intercourse, and Family Farm Quilts just north of Intercourse on Route 772, All are described on the tourist website listed above. All are closed Sunday.

As to things to do Sunday, these would range from the Outlets on Route 30, to the Railroad attractions of Strasburg, the historic sites (Landis Valley Museum, Ephrata Cloister, Wheatlland, Rock Ford) to the Sunday antique complexes of Adamstowm. The two largest complexes Stoudts and Renningers each have more than 300 dealers.

The recreated Amish house attractions, Amish Farm, Amish Village and Amish Homestead will all be open Sunday, although of course there will be no Amish there.

I will let others comment on lodging, since we almost always stay with my parents when we return to the county.

NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

Thank you for your reply! I especially like your suggestion about the Mennonite tour and I think I will try to arrange that ASAP.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

Sounds like you're already doing your homework! This is great because there are some really bad places to stay out there and you don't want one of those to put a big damper on your getaway. Go to www.authenticbandb.com and look at all the wonderful B&B's on there. I'd point out that many of them are the top-rated ones here on T/A as well.

If you'll tell me what you're looking for in a B&B (location, amenities, price, etc.) I might be able to direct you a little better.

Kings Park, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

My only advice is to realize many of the local businesses are closed on Sundays so plan you touring around that. Also, the popular restaurants get very crowded on Saturdays so allow enough waiting time. Don't think they take reservations.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

This link will provide you with a list of things to do on Sundays:

…padutchcountry.com/resources/visitor-resour…

NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

In terms of b and b we are looking for something centrally located to area activities that will run no more than about $200/night (also open to hotels). Ideally the hotel or inn would also have a pool, since it is supposed to be quie hot this weekend and if many businesses are closed Sunday then relaxing poolside would be a good alternative.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

The only 'centrally located' B&B I know of with a pool is Graystone Manor in Bird-In-Hand. Well, I think you should read the reviews for yourself and make up your own mind on that one. Personally, I would skip it. There are too many B&B's around here with 5-star ratings. For a great hotel stay with a pool, I'd recommend Eden Resort or Fulton Steamboat. Both have great locations and should be within your budget. I don't believe they include breakfast, though.

If you're willing to forgo the pool (there's still plenty to do in the area on Sundays) and want a B&B, the ones with central locations are (in Lancaster): The Lancaster, Kings Cottage, Rocky Springs B&B, Australian Walkabout Inn, Walnut Lawn, Flowers & Thyme, Apple Bin Inn(Willow Street) and Limestone Inn (Strasburg).

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

The Amish owned businesses and many Mennonite owned places will be closed Sunday, but it will be business as usual at most stores and attractions, like along the 30 East strip. So planning for that, there will still be plenty to see/do on Sunday.

For nightlife you would probably want to head for downtown Lancaster, plenty of great restaurants there too.

Chameleon Club is the premier live music venue. Here's a source for current specials and live music in the area::

www.flymagazine.net

9. Re: Amish country Saturday-Monday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 01, 2014