We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster and Amish

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lancaster and Amish

I'll be in Lancaster on Tuesday 18th June 2013 and wanted to get a feel for the Amish way of life. I won't have a car so will be relying on either tours or public transport to get around.

I was planning on getting the bus out to Bird in the Hand and Intercourse to have a wander around the Amish stores, maybe get to Strasburg to do the train tour to see the countryside where the Amish live although i'm not sure how long it'll take me to get from Lancaster to Strasburg and if there is even transport to get me there and also maybe doing some Amish tours/buggy rides from Lancaster.

If anyone has any recommendations, suggestions or advice for my planned itinerary it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Angie

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lancaster and Amish

My advice is to rent a car. I believe Enterprise will pick you up at the train station and take you to their facility.

First, there is no public bus service to Strasburg. The nearest stop would be Red Rose Transits stop at the Rockville Outlet Center which is several miles north of Strasburg. You could call for a taxi to pick you up, but this would be time consuming.

Second, although Red Rose transit does serve Intercourse and Bird in Hand , the service is not terribly frequent. I am not sure where the stops are. but I would assume the tourist/craft shops in both villages would be walkable (of course, none are Amish owned).

A place you probably should try to get to would be the Plain and Fancy Tourist complex on Route 340 between Bird In Hand and Intercourse. You should call Red Rose Transit and see how close to this they stop.

At Plain and Fancy you cn take a buggy ride (Aaron and Jessicas, with both Amish and non-amish drivers), take a bus tour(The AMISH EXPERIENCE,) which will get you into the country where the Amish live and(assuming it is not a Sunday) take you to a couple Amish run businesses. You can also tour a recreated Amish home and see a pretty good multimedia presentation about the Amish (Jacobs Choice). Given your extremely limited mobility, this is probably your best method of getting some small taste of the Amish area.

www.plainandfancyfarm.com

Your options will be much better if you have a car.

Edited: 6:50 am, March 29, 2013
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lancaster and Amish

Angie, I answered your post about Hershey before I saw this one. Considering what you want to do in the area, I strongly urge you to rent a car. I know the lack of public transport is frustrating, but this is primarily a rural and suburban area where the vast majority of families have multiple vehicles and the population just does not support a thorough public system.

The only other alternative I can suggest (besides Brookquarry's advice about trying to get to Plain and Fancy) is to call the companies that offer driving tours of the area and see if any of them are willing to pick up at the train station. Here is a link, although not all of these are bus tours.

padutchcountry.com/activities/lancaster-tour…

Good luck, and let us know how things work out.

3. Re: Lancaster and Amish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 31, 2014