We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Stop in Amish Area

We will be on our way to New York from Ohio and need an overnight stay along the way. Thought it would be nice to stay somewhere within the Amish area and continue the next morning through the Amish countryside and view some covered bridges. We wont have time for visiting tourist attractions, but want to show our friends from New Zealand, who have never seen an Amish community, the quaintness of the area. Many B & B's I look at have a minimum of two night s (we want Fri night 21st Sep)... Any suggestions on the Manheim, Mt Joy side for accommodations. Then I thought we would be able to meander along country roads the next morning, visiting a few of the covered bridges, bearing in mind we still have to get into New York City by about 4.00pm...

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Ohio
Ohio
United States
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Manheim
Manheim
Lancaster County, PA
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

For covered bridges, the visitors bureau has self-guided driving tours go to padutchcountry.com/vacation-ideas/back-roads…

I would think the Lititz covered bridgetour or Northern Amish covered bridge tour would work for you geographically

One night at a B and B onA weekend will be tough. Hopefully June B Jone, our local B and B expert. can weigh in

Edited: 6:57 am, August 07, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Lititz
Lititz
Lancaster County, PA
North East, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

I highly recommend The Fulton Steamboat Inn at Rt 30 and rt 896. We stay every year for about a week and you can not go wrong there. It is beautiful inside and very clean, indoor pool and hot tub, koi and duck pond, playground for kids or just sit around the pond and enjoy the view. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy your overnight stay and be safe on the rest of your trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
1,989 Reviews
Lancaster, PA
Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
404 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Try Olde Square Inn. I don't believe they have a minimum.

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Thank you all. Will look at both... Was hoping for one more in the country side. All the main roads seem so busy. Hubby loves to wake up and hear the clip clip of horses hooves (he has horses here at home. He should of been born in a previous era I feel)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Well, you won't hear horses hooves, even in the countryside around Mount Joy or Manheim since you will be out of the Amish area.

For that, you might consider highly rated Inns such as Artists Inn and Gallery in Terre Hill, Austrailian Walkabout in Lampeter(although the Lampeter Fair will be going on at the fairgrounds nearby, so traffic Friday night may be heavy) or Creekside Inn in Paradise.

Don't know if any would accept one night.

Edited: 6:39 am, August 08, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Mount Joy
Mount Joy
Lancaster County, PA
Manheim
Manheim
Lancaster County, PA
Terre Hill
Terre Hill
Lancaster County, PA
Lampeter
Lampeter
Lancaster County, PA
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Let me corrrect my last post

The West Lampeter fair is the following weekend. I was liooking at the 2011 Fair calendar, which is still posted on the website. Traffic should not be an issue at the Austrailian Walkabout Inn.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

aahh..fair time in Lancaster County! Gotta love it!

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Aussie, I just wanted to tell you that I live in a small town in Lancaster county. We are by no means "out in the country," but due to the fact that we have several Amish neighbors just outside of town, we almost daily are treated to that "clip clop" sound.

It has always been special to me, because I know that is the sound the original inhabitants of my house heard every day.

I can appreciate that your hubby enjoys that sound, and in this county, you don't have to be way off the beaten paths to hear it.

Bendigo Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

Hello all and thanks again...it was difficult to find a B&B that would take us for one night but I have and I think it will suffice. It's called FORGOTTEN SEASONS near Lititz... Love the age of the building and the history of it. One night was no problem and I will be able to plan a meander through Amish country visiting about 6 covered bridges, crisscrossing the Amish Farmland.

Can't wait.. We also have 3 nights earlier in our trip in Sugarcreek, Ohio so hubby should get his fill of "clip clopping"... Now we have discovered this area WE WILL BE BACK.. I will post a review of Forgotten Seasons after we return to Australia. We have nothing like this over here... The building we are staying in was built before Australia was even discovered!! Hard to imagine.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Lititz
Lititz
Lancaster County, PA
Ohio
Ohio
United States
North East, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight Stop in Amish Area

There is Wolf Sanctuary of Pa not far from Lititz that is great to visit if you have time for that.

Mentioned in this post
Lititz
Lititz
Lancaster County, PA