We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montgomery Village...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

Hello all, our family has been recently victimized by some identity theft. And until this all blows over, we are only armed with what little cash I have in my pocket. Could you all care to share with us, we are a young family of 5, with kids 5, 3, and 1, free, cheap, or affordable things to do that involved the Amish or their lives? We are just getting away for a little while, and thought that this would be a neat excursion? For instance, which carriage ride is best for the price, or offers a cheap and decent trip, etc? Any suggestions would be great. Even a family friendly restaurant that is easy on the checkbook. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
616 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

This might be a good place to start: http://www.mennoniteinfoctr.com/

Their guided tours look well priced and friendly: www.mennoniteinfoctr.com/guided-tours.asp

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

Well, you can just drive the backroads, stopping at Farm Stands and Amish businesses, but your kids might well get bored.

Good attactions for kids that age are Dutch Wonderland, Chery Crest Adventure Farm, Strasburg Railroad and Choo Choo Barn. You have to see if you can afford it\them.

The most affordable dining option (other than fast food) would be Dienners which has very cheap kicds prices and is regarded by many (including myself) as yhaving the best quality food (although fewer choices than the biger buffets)

If your kids like soft pretzels, country side roadstand has great very affordable ones.

Edited: 10:01 am, May 25, 2012
NY
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

also, it's not a buggy ride, but rather a wagon ride, but it's very informative, the horse drawn cart that leaves from Kitchen Kettle Village.It's much cheaper then the buggy ride.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

As brookquarry said, driving the country roads will only cost you gas money. It's expensive to pay to be in a buggy when you will not cover much territory.

Go to a farmers market, an auction, or a firehall family style meal. For a good but inexpensive meal, if you're staying in the Rt. 30 E area, try Jennie's Diner or Your Place Restaurant. If you want to dine alfresco, drive in Rt. 462 to the historic Conestoga Tavern for scenic waterfront deck dining and good, reasonably priced food.

There may be some free or inexpensive events when you visit; check here:

www.lancasteronline.com

www.padutchcountry.com

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

Brookquarry, I'm surprised at you! The OP is asking for advice on inexpensive stuff and you mention Dutch Wonderland? Sure, it's great for the kids that age, but it's very pricey and the seldom have any discount tickets available. With kids that age, I wouldn't even drive within earshot of the place if we weren't taking them there!

The Visitors' Bureau is a wealth of information, even publishing a list of free stuff to do:

padutchcountry.com/pennsylvania-dutch-countr…

Enjoy!

new jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

Sorry to hear you're going through tough time financially! On the bright side, the Amish Country is THE best value in family vacations IMO, plus it's more relaxing than most other options.

Kitchen Kettle Village is free to walk through all the stores and some places have free samples. Farmers market is great to pick up some fresh cold cuts, bread and tomatoes, then you can eat right there on benches outside- yummy and cheaper than any restaurant. Cherry Crest is fun, but you do have to pay admission. Cannery visit is free (also lots of samples). Herr's is a bit out of the way, but fun for the kids and the tour is free (plus you can get cheap "slightly imperfect" packages of chips and pretzels).

Buggy rides can get pricey, but there are coupons available. With kids I don't think you'd get away without doing one. They are all similar, just go through different routes.

Pittsburgh...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

I'm so sorry to hear your situation. I'm actually heading there this weekend with my hubby and three year old daughter. We are on a pretty tight budget also. Check out padutchcountry.com/pennsylvania-dutch-countr… Under the "Things to Do" tab they have a list of free things in the area, like the Wilbur Chocolate factory Tour and Intercourse Pretzel Factory Tour, Long's Park, Hayloft Candles and Petting Zoo ect. This site is awesome because you can plan your entire itinerary on here and it maps it all out for you. It even has sample itineraries for families. I LOVE it. You can even request a travel guide and map with just about EVERY business in Lancaster on it. I have 2 of them :) As for restaurants, I cant speak personally for any of them yet, but from my research, Dienner's and Your Place Restaurant are the places we have chosen to eat at based on reviews and price. Hope this helps!

Pittsburgh...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

I'm so sorry to hear you situation. I'm actually heading there this weekend with my hubby and three year old daughter. We are on a pretty tight budget also. Check out padutchcountry.com/pennsylvania-dutch-countr… Under the "Things to Do" tab they have a list of free things in the area, like the Wilbur Chocolate factory Tour and Intercourse Pretzel Factory Tour, Long's Park, ect. This site is awesome because you can plan your entire itinerary on here and it maps it all out for you. It even has sample itineraries for families. I LOVE it. You can even request a travel guide and map with just about EVERY business in Lancaster on it. I have 2 of them :)

Have fun!

Edited: 2:54 pm, May 29, 2012
9. Re: Free, Cheap or Affordable Amish visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, June 21, 2013