We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

NY
Level Contributor
671 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

WOW these all seem to be between 18 and 23.00 a person!!!! wowza!!!! since they are all pricey which one is best one with largest selection of foods, and best food as well as bakery and shopping? thanks so much.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

There are two :

1. Oregon Dairy on Route 272 northeast of Lancaster. Maybe 10% of the people will be tourists. They have a small buffet, but I would suggest you order from the menu. Many dutch menu items.All we have had have ranged from very good to excellant.

2 Country Table on Route 230 South of Mount Joy. Very good Pa dutch food. You may well be the only tourists there.

Neither one is in the Amish heartland, although Oregon Dairy is owned by Mennonites and has many Mennonite waitreses and customers.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

This is a timely question as we are going to be in Lancaster County, PA during the last week of September 2011 for four days and finding some good places for breakfast and supper is one of the things we were wondering about.

I have read positive reviews for Dienners so that will be one of them and will probably also try Shady Maple and Huckelberrys as well. On past trips we have been to Millers Smorgasbord and the restaurant at the Amish View Inn (I forget the name) but we wanted to try different places this trip.

Thanks to the OP and useful replies on this.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
191 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

I agree that the Country Table on Route 230 South of Mount Joy is good. Also, try looking these up on-line: www.familycupboard.com in Bird-in-Hand. Bird-in-Hand is close to Intercourse and lots of Amish shopping. Also, pafamilydining.com for the Kountry Kitchen Family Restaurant in Manheim (don't let the outside deter you from going inside), Lititz Family Cupboard www.lititzfamilycupboard.com. Lititz is a nice place to spend a few hours.

Have fun and watch out for buggy's.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

Agree with the last several posts.

Country Table is well worth the trip, but if you want to combine a bakery and shopping, Oregon Dairy is probably a better choice. They have a gift shop plus a huge grocery store with their own home-made baked goods, soups, pot pie, summer salads, and other local fare you can't always find at the chain groceries.

Like Brookquarry, I've enjoyed many of their menu items, but have never been a fan of their buffet.

As for buffets, since you are price-concious but want an extensive selection, I will risk ridicule by suggesting the Old Country Buffet just off the Rt. 30 W bypass (just past the Eden). No, it's not "PA Dutch," and the food is not as well prepared as at Diener's, but at only about $6. for breakfast (weekends only), $7.-8. lunches and about $10. for dinner, it is hands down the best bargain.

DISCLAIMER: If you read my previous post, this place also gets plenty of busloads and "focused" patrons who seem afraid they are suddenly going to run out of food. Much more enjoyable between peak dining hours.

Edited: 8:29 am, September 09, 2011
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

I've been to Old Country Buffet twice as part of bus trips and found them mediocre. Disclaimer: neither visit was to the one in Lancaster.

I do agree its a good bargain compared to say, Hershey Farm, which we vistied this spring and also found mediocre and twice as expensive.

Dienners is about the same price as Old Country and much better quality, although not as many items.

Shady Maple, the last time we were there for dinner in October 2010, was better quality than Old Country and many more choices.

I guess I just hate to go on vacation and eat at a chain I could eat at at home. Shady Maple and Dienners both have some Pa Dutch specialties on their buffet that most tourists can't find at home.

Frankfort,NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

Shady Maple, you won't regret it!

17. Re: Shdy Mpl, Dieners, Millers, BIHand fam rst all $$, best one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 17, 2012