We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

US
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

Lancaster. or on the way to or from Lancaster as we are heading from New Jersey near New York City. we have brought our kids several times. we plan to play mini golf, Choo Choo Barn, Crayola Factory, Dutch Wonderland, Strasburg Railroad, Cherry Crest Adventure Farm. We have done all of these many times and the kids enjoy them but the older one would like some new things. we went to Hershey last year but prefer DW. Are there any other places we are missing worth visiting besides museums as we have many kids museums here. We may do the science museum but I am sure we have better museums closer to New York. Are there any good lakes with gentle waves for the kids to go in the water or places they can do boating. Any suggestions apprecaited. We plan to go for 4 days.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

The lake at Mt Gretna, North of Manheim, has public swimming and canoe rental, and a a decent beach. It is not particularly cheap.

http://mtgretnalake.com/

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

You might want to consider the Landis Valley Museum. It's more of a living history village & farm of the PA German community.

http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/

I realize you aren't looking for a kids museum, however, The Hands-on-House is close by.

http://www.handsonhouse.org/

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

Mt Gretna is a charming community,with a great ice cream shop (the Jigger Shop) and many turn of the century summer homes/cottages in a beautiful setting.

The lake is really nice with a beach and good sized children's section.

You have to to decide if the price ($16 for adults, $8 for children, under 4 free) works for you.

www.mtgretnalake.com

Edited: 10:45 am, July 15, 2011
US
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

looks like a good suggestion. the only thing is it is 25 miles away which may be a little further than we want. We are staying right near Dutch Wonderland. I see it is not cheap but compared to other places like the theme parks the price is okay for us. It is certainly something we will consdier.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

Gretna Lake is wonderful, but if you don't want to travel that far, definitely go to Hands on House and Landis Valley Museum. They are right next to each other, and my kids enjoy both (and did even more when they were younger, now they're 8 and 10). Not too far from there is Oregon Dairy. It is a working dairy, grocery store, family restaurant, ice cream parlor, and gift shop all in one place. There is also a playground and some goats to feed. My MIL lives very close to there and takes my kids over all the time to at least get some ice cream, play in the playground and check out the animals.

US
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

Do you think Greta Lake is very busy on Saturdays or Sundays. Is one day less crowded than the other.

Stamford...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

Planning a trip from CT with our 18 months toddler boy and wife not sure DW, SESAME PLACE,or Knoebels

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

Can't beat Knoebels, free parking, free admission, great food and a pay as you ride option

PA, USA
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

i haven't been to sesame place for many years, but if it's close to what i remember, it would be a bit more fun for a child that age, with dutch wonderland getting my second vote. both will offer more for a toddler to see/do than knobels.

Lehman, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any other activites good for kids 2,4, 6

I think the kids might enjoy a buggy ride! Try Abe's Buggy Rides, Aaron and Jessica's Buggy Rides, or AAA buggy Rides in Kitchen Kettle Village