We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
393 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

Hi folks

Anyone know if any of the major car rental companies are located close to the Amtrak station in Lancaster (will be looking for a one way rental to Dulles). Current plan is to get train fron NYC to Lancaster, grab a car and go on to Gettysburg the same day.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

There is an Avis at the train station, but they have some weird hours, I believe. There is also an Avis at the Visitor's Center at Penn Square (about a 10-15 min walk from the train station). And a Hertz on E. Orange St (also a 10-15 min walk). Hertz will also arrange a pick up at the train station. Search Lancaster Pa on their websites:

www.avis.com

www.hertz.com

Also, if you're not planning to spend any time in Lancaster, you can take a train from NYC to Harrisburg (via Lancaster), which will put you much closer to Gettysburg. I'm sure you could find a car rental in Harrisburg as well.

Have fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

Thanks for that- I had thought they were about the same distance, but as you say Harrisburg is closer. Does Amtrak have a good reputation for being punctual on these lines?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

For the most part, yes, they are punctual. If there's bad weather or a problem with the tracks, they may be a little behind, but they are usually on time. Once I had to wait an hour and fifteen minutes and another time 30 mins, but those were the only two problems I've ever had in dozens of trips to Philly, NYC and Harrisburg.

Also compare rental car prices between Lancaster and Harrisburg. Harrisburg is likely cheaper because it's a bigger city, but you may find a better deal in Lancaster, making it more economical to drive from there.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

I just wanted to add that Enterprise car rental will pick you up at the station, so you may want to check that one out as well. I have always been very impressed with the punctuality of the Amtrak train.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

Thanks again..other than calling, is there any way of contacting the Enterprise franchise in Lancaster?

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

You can set up the rental on line, but unfortunately it says that for pick-up service you have to call. Good luck!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,265 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

The line to Harrisburg is one of the few actually owned by Amtrak, so the priority passenger trains have over freight trains has greater reality than in some other parts of the country. This gives you better on time performance.

York
Level Contributor
84 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

Like most have said the Keystone Service line is fairly reliable.

For car rental, I was wondering if you can go to Middeltown. Being close to the airport can you get a car their easily?

9. Re: Car Rental at Lancaster Train Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 29, 2012