We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amish asking for money?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amish asking for money?

I visited Lancaster last weekend. I stoped to take a picture of the scenery and a teenage Amish boy approached me on his scooter saying $5.00. I had no clue what he was talking about then I realized he was saying I could take his pic for that price. Has anyone else encountered this?

PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amish asking for money?

Totally surprises me! Not to say the young kids may be doing that but, if anyone found out from the family, I think he would be in big trouble.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amish asking for money?

Agree with Avon. The Amish face are on a teeter-totter with the tourist industry. While it is good for their economy, they also have great concerns for the violation of their privacy and convictions. This boy has probably learned that he can make a fast buck off of tourists--his parents (and the church) would have great difficulties with this interaction. Don't put him and their lifestyle in jeopardy by responding to such suggestions!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Amish asking for money?

I thought that him asking for $5.00 was weird. I just told him I didn't have any money and he repeated it back to my in a surprised tone. I also found it odd considering he was all by himself and there were 6 people standing with me. A little bold and brazin huh? Haha

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amish asking for money?

That is indeed an unusual story & that young man's buttocks would be pretty sore if his folks caught wind of it.

A lot of tourists don't understand that it is offensive to the Amish to have their picture taken (it's their interpretation of the biblical references to "graven images."). You can sometimes do it discreetly but never let them see you doing it or (shudder!) ask them to pose for a photo.

Some of the younger children don't yet understand this but it sounds as if this enterprising young fella understands all too well and knows your "photo ops" will be few & far between!

5. Re: Amish asking for money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 05, 2009