We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting franklin and marshall

mass
14 posts
Save Topic
visiting franklin and marshall

Hi

taking my daughter to visit F&M in July. Where do I stay and what do I take her to visit while there to see if this school is for her. Thank you in advance.

carol

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

The Lancaster Arts Hotel was just built mainly for F&M parents to have a place to stay when visiting their college kids.

www.lancasterartshotel.com

It's a little pricey, but it's only one of two hotels in downtown Lancaster. The other is the Brunswick and I'd advise you to stay anywhere else. It's pretty bad there. For places outside the city limits, the Eden's probably the closest and people on this forum have great things to say about it for the most part.

The F&M campus is beautiful and after some sad/bad events last year, it's now pretty safe to walk around even at night. They've added lots of extra lighting, security cameras are everywhere and they patrol the area very often.

As for what to do...what do you like? Are you looking for historical value, architecture, art, shopping, museums, restaurants, the Amish country? Let the forum know your interests and you'll get lots of help.

mass
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

She likes the theatre. Is the area around the school safe. Thank you for the info on the hotel. I will look into it. Anything else you think of I'd be glad to hear.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

The area around the school is even safer than it used to be...as I said before, there is extra security after last year's events (which could happen anywhere). And in all honesty, it is in one of the safer areas of the city. You shouldn't worry about her being at F&M anymore than you would at any other school in any other area of the country.

As for theatre...Lancaster happens to have the oldest continuously operating theatre in the country, the Fulton Opera House. Unfortunately, their season ends July 1st and next season doesn't start until September. They get actors from New York and LA (as well as locally) and most of their shows are amazing! You can still tour the theatre during the off season, I believe.

http://www.fultontheatre.org/

As for theatre outside the city, there's the Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre (hit or miss shows...it is dinner theatre!), Rainbow Dinner Theatre (again..dinner theatre), Sight and Sound (religious shows), American Music Theatre (more musical concerts than actual theatre) and the Ephrata Playhouse (getting better every year). There are more, those are just the major and touristy ones.

Seriously, don't worry about your daughter going to school in the downtown area! You don't read much about the city in this forum, but that's because most tourists come here for Amish Country. The actual city remains a hidden gem!

Enjoy Lancaster!

mass
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

thank you very much for taking the timeto respond to my anxiety. I will try to remember to let you know how it goes. Ilove thissite. Ithink its the best especially with such good people likeyourself.

Blessings to you,

carol

PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

I agree with the posts. Lancaster city is really neat and about the campus at F&M,...... Who would have thought about VT and the trouble there. I would suggest a visit to Buchanan's home Wheatland. It is close to the school and I would just check the website for info. F&M has a great little museum - the North Museum. it would be worth a visit. Let us know how it goes.......

PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

I also wanted to suggest:

http://www.ephrataplayhouseinthepark.org/

It is a little of the of the city, but a really great venue for theatre!!!! Check out the website.

Lancaster, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

And if you happen to be here during the first Friday of the month, the arts scene in downtown is great. You can walk to the arts district from F&M in 20 minutes. Always lots of F&M students at the galleries enjoying the music and free wine and cheese! The downtown restaurants are good, my favorites are The Loft, Belvedere and Carr's. There's jazz at The Pressroom and The Belvedere. Have fun!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

I agree with the other posters, F&M is a very safe campus and the president, John Fry, goes out of his way to make sure students are safe. I think you will find this a very safe city, most of the time if there is an incident it is because a student is out walking the streets (off campus) after 1 in the morning. Rarely does serious crime happen before 11 p.m. and there have been very few incidents on campus. There are all sorts of security cameras being added and lots of patrols. This college takes safety very seriously.

Also, the college is adding a new retail store section and apartments which will be complete this fall, and they are participating in revitalizing an area just north of the campus which used to have an old Armstrong floor plant. F&M has been a terrific influence on and partner with the City of Lancaster, and the president John Fry has done some incredible work over the past few years to make this great college an even better place. The Clipper Magazine Stadium/Ballpark is within walking distance of the campus, as are many shops, stores and restaurants. The Brickyard restaurant is another one near F&M that students seem to enjoy, as well as Doc Hollidays and John J. Jeffries in the Lancaster Arts Hotel. As far as hotel rooms, the advice you got was pretty good, although the Brunswick downtown just remodeled their rooms from head to toe so I think it would be fine to stay there now, and they do have an indoor pool.

Check out the farmers market downtown if you are here on a Tuesday, Friday or Saturday (but do it early in the day.) Also your daughter might enjoy the 300 block of North Queen Street with many funky stores and shops.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

You have been given a lot of good advice/suggestions & I just wanted to add that while Lancaster city does have its problems, I think most locals would agree that the northwest quadrant (where F&M's campus is located) has always been the safest & most affluent of the city's outskirts, and is, lately, enjoying further upscale development.

Take her to Captain Gus' for a great sub or steak sandwich & have her ask the Captain if Lancaster is a friendly town. Another casual place with good food is Valentino's cafe. If you want something a little more upscale try Jethroes or Doc Hollidays (these are all within walking distance of the campus & places she would probably frequent).

If she likes live music see if the Chameleon Club has an all ages show while you're here. Buchanan Park is adjacent to the campus but I'd also take her to Long's Park (may possibly have live entertainment). Hopefully you will also be able to take in a ball game at Clipper stadium but above all take a walking tour of downtown Lancaster...we are very rich in history by ANY criteria (not the least of which is F&M college, founded by Ben Franklin) !

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting franklin and marshall

I think the addition of dormrooms to the campus is going to be a great plus to F&M. I agree with previous posters, I have a college student and a high school senior and I would have no problems with either being in that area of the city. And truthfully, even if I did, there is no way I could keep them away from Captain Gus. That was the first place my son hit when he came home from college this summer!