We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

This past Saturday, April 23, 2005 I took this bus tour. We stopped at: a museum in downtown Lancaster, PA that had artifacts from the movie, told the background of the Amish and Mennonites and how the barn was built in the movie. Next we went to the farm where the film was shot. The third stop (so to speak) was a drive through Intercourse, PA. It stood in for the town of Strasburg where John Book (Harrison Ford) went twice to use a pay phone. I thought we were going to stop at the general store, Zimmerman's that stood in for the Strasburg General Store in the movie and also at the site of the "Battle of Strasburg" where the local townies tried to provoke a fight with the Amish that John Book finished quickly with his fists. It would have been a good place to talk about the interaction and relationships between the Plain People and the "English" since the 1700's in PA. But were drove straight through with narration.

However, other than that one problem; it's an outstanding tour. I am bringing a female friend to the tour as soon as possible in order to answer her questions on what is Amish and what is Mennonite.

Mentioned in this post
Intercourse
Intercourse
Lancaster County, PA
Strasburg
Strasburg
Lancaster County, PA
HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

Oops. Forgot to mention three things. The tour STOPS for all time on November 21, 2005 and here's the URL ...

www.padutchcountry.com/witness/index.asp

My tour leader said that a few prior tours had people on them that had never seen the movie. Well, if that's the case, then, about fifty percent of the interpretation value is lost.

SEE the movie before you go on the tour. Rent it at a video store or buy it online through Amazon.com

It will give you the background information you need on this extremely moving movie, pardon the pun; but the movie has effected me for the past twenty years since I first saw it while attending graduate school.

OBX, NC
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: 20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

My sister and I are taking our families to the Lancaster area Aug 19-23.....do you have any suggestions...the Witness tour sounded great.....our kids are 7,11,14 and 16. We have never been to that area before so we are wide open for suggestions

BTW, we would Love to rent a house, but everything I can find on the net it booked does anyone know a good place to find vacation house rental info for this area?

thx

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

Book TODAY for the Witness 20th anniversary movie tour. Do NOT expect to roll into Lancaster, PA and think the tour will be open for you the day you arrive or the next day, etc. It's only Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays, 9:30 AM and 1:30 PM. ONLY. Do NOT think it will be here next year, 2006. NOPE. Follow the link I provided. Also, contact the PA Dutch Country Visitors Center to see if they have any connections to real estate firms that may be to see about renting houses. At this late point in the game, I would go with a hotel that specializes in suites and/or an Amish dude ranch that may have some tenant farmer houses that they could rent to you.

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

Try these URLs to see about renting houses in or near Lancaster, PA for the period of August 19-23, 2005. August 19, 2005 happens to be my 47th birthday. You are only going to be there for five days. My hunch is that no place is going to rent you a house for less than a month.

www.padutchcountry.com/lodging/guest_home.asp

http://padutch.com/mem-house.shtml

http://www.rentclicks.com/?ws=850

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

http://intercoursepalodging.com/index.ivnu

Also, when you are up in Lancaster, PA; make sure to stop off at these sites including but not limited to ...

Strasburg Railroad

Railroad Museum of PA

National Toy Train Museum

the Choo Choo Barn

Try the Amazing Maize Maze at Cherry Crest Farm, this year the theme is the 20th anniversary of the movie Witness, who woulda thunk it?

Rockvale and Tanger Outlet Shopping Centers.

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20th anniversary of the movie, "Witness" bus tour ...

More lodging information for Lancaster County, PA in the area of the Strasburg Railroad and the Amazing Maize Maze at the Cherry Crest Farm, Ronks, PA ...

http://www.cherrycrestfarm.com/lodging.asp

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
Ronks
Ronks
Lancaster County, PA