We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B & B's and Smorgasbords

MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
B & B's and Smorgasbords

My husband, myself and 17-yr old son plan to spend a few days in the Amish country. We are considering two B&B's - Brownstone Colonial Inn in Reinholds and Churchtown Inn B & B - any recommendations on either of these Inns? Are they located in an area which is close to nearby sights and attractions. Also, what is considered the Best smorgasbords.....heard this area is famous for them. Any travel information or "must do" recommendations would be very much appreciated....Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brownstone Colonial Inn
Brownstone Colonial Inn
255 Reviews
Reinholds, PA
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

phebie: I don't personally know either B&B but just by the location they are out there. Very rural area of Lancaster County. This is just a guess but they both are probably 20 miles from Lincoln Highway, which is where most of the tourist attractions are. It will probably take you a good 35 - 40 minute drive (each way) depending on traffic. Granted it may be a nice scenic drive and you will probably find some nice farmers stands along the way. I don't know your son but I have 2 kids ages 17 & 19 and they would be bored to tears staying at either one.

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

phebie, We've never stayed in any PA Dutch Country B&B's. My wife likes her privacy too much. Since your traveling with a 17 year old son, I'd recommend you get a suite with two bedrooms. The Inn at Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse can offer you lots of room choices. You can park your car next to your room and stroll the entire town without having to drive. Another town you have to visit is Strasburg. It's everything trains. You can even ride in the dining car for lunch or dinner. Lots of great smorgasbords in the area: Plain & Fancy, Good 'N Plenty, Millers, Willow Valley, Shady Maple, Bird-In-Hand, Harvest Drive and Hershey Farm. There have been good and bad posts about each one. Your son is too old for the Dutch Wonderland Amusement Park, but Hershey Park is nearby. BTW.. Some other highly recommended motels are: Best Western Eden Resort, Historic Revere Inn and Willow Valley Resort. One word of warning, traffic will be bad on weekends, lots of attractions and stores are closed on Sunday's and watch out for the Amish buggy's.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Inn at Kitchen Kettle Village
Inn at Kitchen Kettle...
426 Reviews
Intercourse, PA
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Dutch Wonderland
Dutch Wonderland
2,051 Reviews
Lancaster, PA
PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

Curious what you want to get from a trip to Lancaster? The reason I ask is because the two B&Bs that you picked are not in a "tourist " area. Bujt are located in a beautiful part of Lancaster County. If you are planning to Antique, visit Stoudts Brewery, Ephrata Cloister, Green Dragon Farmers Market, relax. these would be excellent choices. Some Amish live in this area, but , We have more mennonites of varied sects. I live close to the Brownstone Colonial. The restaurants in the area are not really of the smorgasbord type. Galen Hall Restaurant is a quiet gem, not far from the B&B, but not even close to PA dutch. Infact you would be venturing into Berks county. Let me know what you want to do while visitng and maybe we could steer you in the direction that would better fit your time spent here.

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
Ephrata Cloister
Ephrata Cloister
310 Reviews
Ephrata, PA
MA
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

You have all been so helpful...thanks for the info....seeing it is the first time we have been to the Amish country, which town would be a good location for "home base" to travel to see sights in all surrounding towns. Any recommendations on hotels....nice, clean, pools, etc. ....you are all right, our son would be bored at an Inn and I think a bit uncomfortable! So, to help with the recommendations, we would like to go to Hershey (son not to keen on amusement parks, so I think we would skip that)...not too interested in everyday outlets, but would like antique shops, country shops...we enjoy just driving and seeing the countryside and sights, so if there is a particular route we should go on, that would help. Also, which towns should we definitely go to....again, any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

There's no reason to go to Hershey if you're not going to do the amusement park. The only thing there is the very quick tour thru Chocolate World and a gift shop/restaurant at the end. I'd strongly recommend Adamstown on Rt 272 in northern Lancaster County for antique shopping. Can't help you any motels names, other than the ones in the heart of PA Dutch Country. Eden, Revere and Willow Valley are usually the top picks for this forum group. Maybe others can make recommendations of places to stay in the northern parts.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
Hershey's Chocolate World
Hershey's Chocolate World
6,584 Reviews
Hershey, PA
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

I think the the eden would ge a great place to stay. They have a great outdoor pool. and an indoor pool. A nice restaurant and You would be located close to rt30 and 222 which would get you to most areas that would appeal to you in a short time. The southern end of the county is beautiful but does not have a lot to offer that I am aware of. Adamstown is great for Antiques but, most are open only on Sunday. Shupps grove is a great outdoor venue and Stoudts is more upscale and has the brewery and restaurant ( Again upscale). If you like baseball the Lancaster Barnstormers have a new facility if they are playing in town and a short walk away is a younger restaurant called the Brick yard. I would skip Hershey if you are not doing the park. A day trip to Strasburg area would be neat if you like trains and along the way ( taking some back roads)you could see a lot of the Amish farms and how they live. Depending what you decide to do, I could suggest a smorgasbord in an area where you will be, if that is something you really wanted to do.

Mentioned in this post
The Lancaster Bed and Breakfast
The Lancaster Bed and...
456 Reviews
Lancaster, PA
Brick
Brick
211 Reviews
Carlisle, PA
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
7. Re: B & B's and Smorgasbords

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 01, 2009