We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newtown, pa
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

Hi. My friend and I planned a fun trip to Lancaster and Hershey for this Thursday and Friday w/ our 4 kids (2 five year olds, 2 nine year olds, all boys). Our plan was to see the sights of Lancaster on Thursday, stay at Willow Valley and let them enjoy the indoor pools and then head over to Hershey Park on Friday for Spring time in the Park. It was a great plan until the April weather forecast turned out to be 40 degrees for both days. Now, I'm not sure if we should cancel the trip or not. We canceled the Hersheypark part, 40 degrees is just too cold to spend the day at Hershey which was really the highlight for the boys. So, now I need great ideas of how to make 2 days in Lancaster super fun.

Here are some of my ideas (I have no idea the distance between these attractions): horse and buggy ride, central market on friday, strassburg railroad, herrs potato chip tour (on thursday, they are closed good friday). I would really appreciate hearing comments on these ideas as well as suggestions of additional fun activities. I know there is no substitute for Hershey but any thoughts would be appreciated. I know there is a children's museum in Lancaster but I think it will be too young for the nine year olds. Any thoughts to the contrary on this would be welcome.

Thanks.

Phila
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

Kids might be too excited at Hershey to notice the cold weather? If they get too cold - can go to Chocolate World! Yum!!! The first time we went to Hershey Park was for Christmas - now that was COLD!!!!! Good luck!

P. S. - I will be at Green Dragon this Friday! Can't wait!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

FYI If you do decide to go to Hersheypark, the cheapest source of tickets is any Giant grocery store, including the one in Hershey.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

What is the discount at Giant? Is it good for the reduced springtime at the park admission?

We are staying at the lodge and can purchase tickets at a discount from them, but just wondering if it would be worth a stop at a Giant store. Thanks!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

Just called them, Adults are $20, Kids are $10. Savings is $5 over admission at park.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

Thanks!!!!! I appreciate your efforts!!!

PA dutch country
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lancaster Trip in Jeopardy b/c of Cold Weather- HELP

I would not let the weather stop you. It may be a little cool, but just bring the necessary gear. My philosphy is the "wether is the bonus" we will enjoy and have fun and if the weather is great, WOW....I really think you have planned what will work for you. I was going to suggest that the trains in Strasburg are always a big hit with boys of all ages. I know you are going today. so have fun and let us know how it went.....