We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

clarksville,mi
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
first timer

first time in area. looking for good low budget motel. and things to do in area. arriving late june. thanks for any help.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer

What are the ages and number of people traveling with you? What are your interest, such as shopping, history, Amish, kids stuff, trains?

clarksville,mi
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer

just two adults. quilting amish and shoping.. what is a mud sale?

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer

check out www.padutch.com.

It has a link for mud sales (which are in full swing now but will be over by the time you visit) but can also help with your other questions about the area.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer

miGravey, You get what you pay for! We stayed at the Days Inn near Routes 30 and 896. Never again!!!! I would recommend saving yourself some grief and stay at Kitchen Kettle. This is a large shopping village with some rooms and suites. The rates for late June are $109 a night for their cheapest rooms and $159 for a 2BR/2B suite with LR and kitchen. KK is in the village of Intercourse. It's jam packed with stores. There are three large outlets on Rt 30 that will keep you busy for days. QUILTS - Go to 800PaDutch.com and look at all of the listings for quilts. There must be over 50 stores and shops. Some of the local Amish women even sell quilts out of there home. A warning for first time visitors. Very few shops or stores are open on Sundays. Try to visit during the weekday.

Steve

clarksville,mi
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer

thanks for you info.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer

You also want to avoid the Days Inn at 30 Keller Avenue. Whatever you do, DON'T stay there. The hotel is both poorly managed and poorly maintained. I was not at all surprised to find out that this hotel was recently ranked 8/10 of the top ten dirtiest hotels in the United States. How this hotel retains its Days Inn franchise or even stays open for business is beyond me. Last summer I heard on the news that there was a major drug bust at this hotel. Again, no big surprise. I also am not too fond of the management responses that were added earlier this month to several of the hotel's reviews. It appears that the management does not want to acknowledge that this hotel is a "dump" and worse yet, they don't give any refunds whatsoever. I don't really want to tell anyone to avoid the Days Inn chain altogether because they do have some nice hotels, such as the Days Inn in State College, PA. On the other hand, it is hotels such as this Days Inn that get very poor reviews and which should either be shut down or have their franchises pulled. I am not familiar with the Days Inn in Ronks that the previous poster mentions but at least that hotel is listed in the AAA Tour Book.

NY
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer

I usually stay at the Best Western Revere Inn. It's average price,but not budget, but I can recommend the Hawthorne Inn . It's much cheaper then the place I usually stay, but it's relatively new, very modern, and clean. comes with a nice breakfast. Very reasonable rates. Downside is the rooms are a bit small, and the hotel is in a weird spot, between route 30 and route 462, but really a very decent place to stay. If I can't get a room at the revere inn, I always go to the hawthorne.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer

I don't want to keep rambling on about the Days Inn on Keller Avenue but things are just getting better and better (LOL!). This past weekend, 6 guests of the hotel were stripped and robbed. See http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/202119 for more information.

clarksville,mi
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timer

wonder what managment has to say about the incident?. planning on staying at red caboose hotel.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timer

Red Caboose has intermittently been closed by Board of Health over sewer problems. Urge you to have Plan B ready , just in case.