We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smiggins or Perisher

Which Perisher Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Smiggins or Perisher

Hi All

Looking for advice on where to stay Perisher or Smiggins?

We are a family of teens and adult kids and have all been skiing once before at Falls Creek but that was about 8 years ago

Looking for a hotel that is very very close to chair lifts and entertainment and have breakfast and dinner included. We will be catching bus transport from Canberra. Smiggins looks good but is it too basic and would we be bored skiing there for 5 days- last time we were skiing blue runs after a few days. I would love more info how easy it is to get from Smiggins to Perisher also if we want to ski there for a day.

Thanks

21 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

Hi tez823,

I have no connection what so ever with any ski fields here or in NZ but I love to ski and have done so nearly every season for over fifty five years. Here in Oz, the USA and NZ.

I discovered NZ skiing years ago and am very happy to tell newbies that if they plan on visiting the Oz slopes for more than three nights with on snow accommodation there are much better value ski holidays in NZ.

We still have the occassional weekend trip to Thredbo when the family can't get away for longer. We never cease to be amazed at the price of accommodation, the cost of lift tickets and the length of the lift lines to go what is often "rock hopping".

Cheers,

Edited: 5:10 pm, April 18, 2013
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

<<am very happy to tell newbies that if they plan on visiting the Oz slopes for more than three nights with on snow accommodation there are much better value ski holidays in NZ>>

There are great value ski deals to be had in Oz - particularly if don't HAVE to stay in Perisher or Thredbo - and how can you get a better "on snow" deal in NZ? An overseas trip to ski is hardly a great introduction to the pastime for "newbies". Certainly recommend that for experienced skiers or people who are weary of the same ski holiday year after year. Locals travel to USA, Canada, Japan & Europe every year for off season skiing. If you dislike Australian skiing, pricing, "crowds" and people so much, why do you even bother to make the effort to go anywhere near the Australian resorts? They must still have SOMETHING to offer. Of course "Thredbo darling" says it all.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

Hi tez823,

Que?

IMHO NZ is much better than the Oz slopes for beginners as the apres ski scene in Queenstown and Wanaka offer so much more than the Oz counterparts for lay days. Secondly the slopes are less crowded and without trees so much less intimidating. For those that are up to Blue runs the choices are mind boggling at Coronet Peak, The Remarks, Cardrona and Treble Cone then there is the Heli Ski option and black runs that would test anyone.

BTW there is limited on snow accommodation in NZ at Cardrona and other areas.

When you take into account the dollar for dollar costs, the conditions, the runs and the options it's a "no brainer". The there is the exchange rate.

Hey when I lived in Canberra I skiied almost exclusively in Oz then I saw the light in NZ. Now I live on the NSW north coast there isn't any decision to make for more than a few days skiing. If the OZ industry is so afraid of the competition the Oz industry needs to lift its' game!

Cheers,

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

he he......... lived in Canberra and didn't like the que - must have worked for the govmint!

Tez - for everyone who goes to New Zealand - makes the queue a little shorter for those who prefer Oz :)

"NZ is much better than the Oz slopes for beginners as the apres ski scene in Queenstown and Wanaka offer so much more than the Oz counterparts" Huuhhh???? what's that got to do with beginner skiing and who wants "lay days" when you've spent all your dough on a SKI holiday? Those who are up to blue runs aren't newbies or beginners so aren't going to be able to appreciate those advantages you list.

BTW - 15 apartments at Cardona certainly IS limited - oh and pretty hard to book..........

So, for ON SNOW accommodation and true ski in ski out - Perisher/Guthega/Smiggins or Mt Buller or Falls Creek.

As for the OP, wherever you stay - Perisher or Smiggins, you will be able to ski the whole resort area. Certainly won't get bored and each lodge or hotel has its own unique nightlife. Smigs Hotel goes off and a lot of staff go there. What bus are you catching? Greyhound will drop you off at Skitube so it would be easier to stay in Perisher.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

For skiing, Perisher and Smiggins are the same resort, as mentioned previously, so it's all about evenings. You don't say how old your teens are. If they are over 18 and want to go out at night to see a band or have a few drinks, Perisher is for you. Generally Perisher is bigger and has more options at night. If you want something cosier, go to Smiggins, but it is very quiet at night and just that bit harder for arrival and departure. I also recommend the Eiger at Perisher for good value close to the lifts.

Biloela...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

Hi,

We are a group of 3 Adults and 3 Children13/11/7 and we have allready booked our accomodation at Mt Kosioscko Retreat( halfway up the mountain between jindy and Perisher) for the June/July holidays. We have been researching the best ski options for us as we are all beginners. We have a 4wd and will driving to the fields each day. After much research and reading the above posts we are of the opinion that we should start at smiggins and hopefully after 2 or 3 days we should have the basic skills to venture around the mountain. We havent booked any ski hire or lessons yet, does it make any difference if you hire on snow or from a shop in Jindy. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

Hi Dwm - Kosi Retreat is a unique spot to stay and your kids should love it...... As previously mentioned, a Perisher Blue ski pass will cover lifts for the entire resort however you can get a cheaper "bundle" ticket which will include ski hire & lessons at Smiggins (or Blue Cow) that is excellent value. Even cheaper if you book online prior. perisher.com.au/tickets-passes-accommodation…

Ski hire is cheaper the further away from the mountain you get, but if you're staying on/near the resort like you are and have any problems (e.g. poor fit, skis need tuning etc) - it's a long way to go back to where you go them from to get it sorted. Because of where you are staying, I would highly recommend you get your gear from somewhere on the mountain. That way, if you have any problems, you can get it sorted without too much hassle and be back out hitting the slopes as quickly as possible.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

Perisher provides on snow accommodation. I have always preferred/enjoyed waking up and looking out on the ski slopes. A lot of the accommodation in the Valley is in Ski Clubs but non-members are still welcomed.

Take a look at perisher.com.au/images/…perisher.pdf . Check out Corroboree or Sonnenhof or clubs like Oldina , Warrugang, Boonuna

Orbost, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

the ski clubs offer a cheap way to stay .with various types of rooms and quality of stay, there are a few websites to check http://ski.com.au/ and http://skicheap.com.au/

You can get rooms for like $35 per night and then all the way up.

If you have a friend who is a member then even better,i stay with my mate and its only $35 per night with a unsuite.

Edited: 6:46 am, February 04, 2014
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Smiggins or Perisher

Smiggins Hotel is on snow. Ski in - ski out includes breakfast and dinner inclusive. There is a bus that runs frequently to Perisher to satisfy the adventurous skiier. There is a J/T bar that runs from Smiggins to Perisher. Have stayed at Smiggins twice and Ski Rider once. Smiggins is the preferred option because not as busy as Perisher. Ski Rider is a good place to stay and a cheaper loption considering your family size. Includes Breakfast and Dinner - they have bus that goes to Smiggins and Perisher frequently throughout the day.

Reply to: Smiggins or Perisher
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perisher Valley
More Perisher Valley Topics