We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

hey guys

I'm thinking of going to Nelsons bay for a 2 day trip just to kick back and relax. Want to stay somewhere nice with nice water views.

I read people recommending Peppers , is that same as Anchorage in port stephens? or these are 2 different resorts? Also people have recommended shoal bay resort.

which one is better?

please help me choose.

11 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,487 posts
1,582 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Hi,

Pepper Anchorage is Peppers....just one resort. The trouble with Peppers it's a little out of town but if you have a car it shouldn't be a problem. Peppers is definitely on the waterfront with water views.

I've stayed at both properties however although Shoal Bay Resort is not a classy as Peppers I really like the casual atmosphere & excellent location. If you are just looking to do some serious R&R then I probably would go with Peppers as its much quieter compared to Shoal Bay Resort.

I would check with Peppers regarding their renovations as I know some refurbishments/ renovations were happening a few weeks ago.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,071 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Hi,

One of our sons is in the RAAF. He is stationed at Willimatown (Willytown) and lives at Salamander Bay so we are frequent visitors to the area. To be honest I find Nelson Bay totally underwhelming compared to areas a little further north or indeed south of Sydney.

I would look at Tea Gardens, Hawks Nest, Myall Lakes, Forster/Tuncurry or a wine tour of the Hunter for a "kick back" weekend.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Thanks Elemay for your reply.

I dont mind if the shoal is not top class, but does it have water views and close to the beach? I do have a car as im driving from sydney

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Neither are on surf beaches.

I like peppers . We had a loft type room directly overlooking the water which was nice.

If you want a surf beach then that changes things, Fingal beach is lovely, but I can't remember if there are any little hotels there. tea gardens and hawkers nest better for that aspect also.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,487 posts
1,582 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Yes, its across the road from the beach but you will have to ask for a beachfront waterview room with balcony. I would ring them & ask for the best room...just say it's for a very special occasion... naturally u will have to pay for the best.

As mentioned by Hamiriver the surf beach is Fingal beach just a short drive away.

I must admit I do love the Myall Lakes region - very relaxing !!

Edited: 2:35 am, March 26, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

I like mostly seeing ocean rather than a lake.

Thank you all for the replies. Im still a bit confused about where to go and where to stay. I guess i have to wait for the rain storms to pass before i go.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Shoal Bay is not really a lake, but not surf.

If you want surf as mentioned above then why not go to somwehere like Terrigal ?

Crowne Plaza Terrigal

Have you checked out any of the towns we mentioned above?

http://www.teagardenshawksnest.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

I just checked out Terrigal and the hotel you mentioned, looks like a very nice place and so close to the ocean.

Is this place nicer than Nelsons Bay?

Oz
Level Contributor
13,071 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

Hi,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

>>Is this place nicer than Nelsons Bay?<< IMHO yes, but then so are many others!

Cheers,

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay

It depends on what you want to do.

There are more touring type things to do in PS. You can rent bikes and ride around etc. all that stuff.

Terrigal is smaller and more of a seaside town holiday place just sitting on the ocean side., but less to do. Lots of walks to do etc, and drives in the immediate area.

Have a read of some reviews on here of both places- I cant help not knowing what you like and want to do

Reply to: Relaxed holiday in Nelsons Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nelson Bay