We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Which Lord Howe Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Here is some information about my experience...

We recently got married on Lord Howe Island. It was a most wonderful day! It is the most romantic place and we were so lucky with the weather. I did a lot of research and ringing around before we decided to get married on the island. I must admit, it was difficult to get accurate information which is why I am writing all of this down now - in hope that it may help out another bride. We had a wonderful photographer - Jack Schick - he has won awards and is able bodied and keen to venture down on to the beach where our ceremony was held. He was also happy for me to provide direction on the photos I wanted too. His high quality cameras picked up amazing colour in the pictures. He has a great eye and excellent attention to detail. He was as keen to get 'the shot' as we were. We found the celebrant, Sam, to be interesting and quirky to deal with. She is supported by her husband Ron. They are enthusiastic and are happy to provide advice on how things should happen. They weren't so keen for us to get married on the beach (because of accessibility issues for Sam) although when we insisted the beach was what we really wanted, they did provide us with grass cutting tools to enable us to clear the path. Following the ceremony, they moved promptly up on to the headland and after a short time (we were having photos taken down on the beach) proceeded to wave the marriage certificate (and book) at us and beckon to us to come up and sign the register. When we did move up to the headland (within half an hour of service) they announced they had to be elsewhere, hence the urgency. Also, the promised bottle of bubbles and cheese (part of the wedding package) was not forthcoming. At the risk of sounding petty, i am going to continue with the story... The day after our wedding, they said to my husband, 'we were going to serve wine and cheese but you took too long'. As I say,it was half an hour or so... Another twist to it all was Sam then proceeded to drink the bubbles we had brought along for our guests! There are other options available. I discovered after we got out there, there is another celebrant qualified to marry people but she apparently doesn't spend a lot of time on the island) - I suspect you need to ring the lord Howe Board directly to get the information. There are members of the LHI Board who can conduct a civil ceremony. I would suggest taking your own flowers out there. There are limited fresh flowers available on the island and no one to really arrange them for you. You can get very authentic looking 'real touch' flowers I think they are called. We had our reception at Greenbacks. The canapés were lovely and the fish served for mains fantastic as were the salads.The meals are served on an informal deck of a house and the staff were lovely to deal with regarding planning and were charming on the night. The dessert (banana date pudding was delicious) however there is a noise curfew of 930pm imposed by the LHI Board if you are planning a rowdy night of dancing. If you are after something fancier and more expensive, I would suggest Pandanus (BYO) or Anchorage (licensed). Anchorage is also great for breakkie! While our family and friends were with us, we stayed at Leanda Lei - fantastic for a group. Owners are super friendly and helpful. Then we moved over the road to the Treehouse - a new and magnificent place for honeymooners (or any couple really!) tucked in amongst the kentia palms. It is a single stand alone place w no one around to disturb or to disturb you! The best bit is there is no where for the kids to stay! Actually, that's not the best bit... Louise and Rex have thought of everything when they built this place. The day beds are wonderful, the enormous bathroom is fab, the bed is comfortable, love the touch of dressing gowns, wifi and a fantastic big deck (with another day bed) and an awesome view of Mt Gower and one out to the lagoon too. I would recommend getting married on Lord Howe Island to anyone after a low key relaxed wedding or if you are wanting to elope. It really is a magical place to get married. For us, it encapsulated the beach and the mtns - two things we love! But If you want or need to 'control' everything, getting married on Lord Howe may cause you more stress than its worth. Apparently (I have discovered since returning from LH) that peter who runs Chase 'n' Thyme Bus Tours is happy to answers any questions about LHI and would have been a very handy go to man - if only I had known beforehand! : ) Phone: +61 2 6563 2033 Email: peterphillipps@bigpond.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Which beach did you use?

Where exactly is the treehouse? From memory only things over the road from leanda Lei are the Churches and Joys? Curious cos if it's down the hill might suit our needs.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Gosh, KandD, having to cut the path to the beach is above and beyond the call of duty!!

I hope your good memories far outweigh the others. :)

Luigi

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

paragraphs! what happened to paragraphs?

don't they teach about them in school any more?

sorry would have loved to have finished the story but got vertigo......or something related to that

hope u had a great time and all went well.

;-)

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Married on Lovers Bay beach. But it depends on wind direction. Treehouse is a bit further up hill from leanda lei & joys. It's only been open since nov 2011. Hope that helps. It's a fantastic spot!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Was there much of an issue for you with weight limit? I'd be worried about the weight of the suits, dress, shoes, etc eating into the small allocation given by Qantas. Not to mention my fiancé and I dive! Dive gear sounds out of the question, really. I love the idea of it but worry some of these simple issues may make it harder than just going for a South Pacific island like Cook Islands,

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Dive gear - hire it!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

yeah definitely, and they don;t charge a stupid price either to hire. WQhy do you need dress shoes for s beach wedding ;)

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

Yes - they are (and need to be) very strict on weight allowances. I carried dress on plane as hand luggage. It's also byo flowers as there is no florist on island. You can get some very authentic 'real touch' flowers, I think they are called. But yes, as someone else said, no shoes necessary : )))) we got married in bare feet... Exactly the feel we wanted for our wedding. Also, it's such a low key island, no other fancy clothing is really required. I'd suggest taking your own mask for diving but hire all other gear when you get out there. It's a magical place to get married!

NSW
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

I know KandD's post is an old one, but I have only just read it and would like to write in defence of Sam and Ron. We too were married on Lord Howe Island, in May 2012, with Sam as our Celebrant. She was assisted ably by her husband Ron.

Nothing was too much trouble for them. Planning our LHI wedding was easy with Sam and Ron easily contactable by phone and happy to provide advice and suggestions.

On arrival on LHI we met with Sam and Ron and were driven to various locations where we could have our wedding. We chose another beach called Cobby's Corner, a beautiful, sheltered beach, and much more accessible than Lovers Bay.

Sam thought of everything, organising witnesses, a hairdresser and a restaurant for dinner. We felt happy that everything was taken care of.

We enjoyed a wonderful wedding afternoon with a beautiful, sincere ceremony followed by wine and cheese with Sam, Ron and our witnesses, as the sun set.

If you want a personal, informal wedding in a unique, magnificent location, then Lord Howe Island is the perfect place. We thought Sam and Ron did a great job and we would happily recommend them.

10. Re: Planning on getting married on Lord Howe Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, April 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lord Howe Island