We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

Hi,

I will be in Brisbane on October. I have one day free to travel around. I would love to spend that day going whale watching. It looks like Hervey Bay is the most popular place to see whales but I've read that there are also whale watching tours departing from Byron Bay. I would prefer to go to Byron (as it's closer to Brisbane, looks like it's easy to see dolphins, and the place has nice views) but not sure if I won't see as much whales that in Hervey Bay. If someone has done a whale watching tour and could help me...

Many thanks!

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

For a whale watching tour in a boat I'd go to Hervey Bay. If you really want to go to Byron, you could spend a couple of hours up at the lighthouse. It would be one of the best land based venues for whale watching

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

Harvey bay is my choice as when we went there were literally hundreds of whales in the Bay. Byron is really nice though.

Vaud
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

We'll be in Byron Bay in mid April and wondered are there whales around at that time already? Also heard about helicopter tours. Where is the departure point for that? Is it more expensive than a hot air balloon trip?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

April is a bit early for the whales. Helicopters depart from Ballina airport and are priced about the same as balloon trips

Vaud
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

OK, Thanks for the info. Have checked up the Ballina airport offers and see there are some amazing flights available in an old warbird airplane(renovated), so will check that out. Sounds classic!

6. Re: Whale watching Byron Bay or Hervey Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 23, 2015