We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Hi everyone,

We(young couple-mid 20s) are visiting gold coast at the end of this month for a week. planning to do a day trip to byron on xmas day. Could we get some help here from the gurus? :)

My questions:

1. is it going to be too quiet on the 25th dec? Is it a good idea to visit byron on xmas day?

2. what are the must-visit places? Plz give us a list. We want to fit everything we can in one day.

3. what is closed n what is open on xmas day?

Thank you very much, sards

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Hi,

Xmas day will be crowded in Byron as its a major summer holiday destination in Australia.

The first thing I would do is head to the beach for an early morning swim with the locals.

For additional info on what to do -

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g528934-s4/Byron-Bay:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g528934-c169284/Byron…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g528934-d1500016/Byro…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g528934-d1629897/Byro…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Thanks a lot..:)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

It will be busy, my advice is to arrive as early as possible, get a car park and have a walk around the town. Parking is free for 4 hours just past the surf club. Direct access to the beach... must see- Cape Byron lighthouse..... if you like walking, walk from the surf club along the beach, past The Pass and Wategos Beach and up to the lighthouse, great walk and you can stop and swim along the way and of course on the way back... otherwise you can drive up there, fees apply.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Hi,

Byron Bay on Christmas day is a mixed bag - the beach is very busy but the town is reasonably quiet as most places are closed. That said, there are still things to do in Byron on Christmas day including the lighthouse walk. Christmas day in Bryon is about the Beach.

Cheers, Kez

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Thanks a lot guys..let us know about all the hidden jems if you can..:)

thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Do you guys know about any company that runs snorkeling tours on x-mas day?

Thanks

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

There are two dive operators in Byron - Sundive http://www.sundive.com.au/contact-us/p/34

and Dive Byron Bay http://www.byronbaydivecentre.com.au/contact/

both are closed on Xmas Day and Boxing Day. You'll probably find most of the tour operators are closed on Xmas Day.

There is also Go Sea Kayak Byron Bay which is closed on Xmas day, but operating on Boxing Day. goseakayakbyronbay.com.au/index.php/contact-…

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

What is open and operating on Xmas Day in Byron will be like most other towns - minimal. That said, there are still things to do such as taking in the beaches and byron has some beautiful ones! Walking the lighthouse and spoting dolphins (whales - tho its out of season for them) turtles etc. If you have a bike or can locate an open bike hire shop, then riding around the town can be very enjoyable. The Beach Hotel is open on Xmas Day, this is always a favorite spot - music, good food (tho pricey) and great views - it gets very busy (at all times). Perhaps contact peterpans.com.au/travel-australia/locations/… at Byron (they are a fair size tour operator here) and see what they have on offer for xmas day.

A lot of the resturants and cafes will be open from lunch time on. If you like fish and chips on the beach, I recommend Fishmongers Gourmet Fish and Chips in the lane behind the beach hotel - they do a delicious Fish and Chip. There is also Fishheads located right next to the beach, but I find thier takeaway fish a bit lacking (my fav is Fishmongers or the Brunswick Fish Co-op).

If by any chance you decide to be in Byron on Boxing Day, then just about everything will be open, plus the Bangalow Markets are also on - in my opinion, they are the best markets on the North Coast.

Here is the website for the Byron Tourist Info centre http://www.visitbyronbay.com/

Also if you have a car, Lennox Head is a 20minute drive from Byron and it too has fabulous beaches, resturants, the lake and a beautiful headland lookout.

I hope this helps.

Sydney, New South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Hi,

We are going to be staying in Byron Bay for Christmas Day. Can anyone help me with which restaurants might be open for Christmas lunch. We would like to go to a nice restaurant and would consider a restaurant in the surrounding areas as well.

Thanks, Jenny

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Byron bay visit on Xmas day??

Me too! I have phoned a few places bu they are closed on Christmas Day