We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byron Bay - Too hectic??

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Byron Bay - Too hectic??

Help - I suppose I am looking for some reassurance! I booked to stay at Byron Bay for 5 nights from 2nd January (spending new year at Sydney then travelling down) and am getting quite anxious at the reviews I have been reading - no space on the beaches, elbow to elbow walking, lots of youngsters nightclubing etc. If this is correct I have had completely the wrong image in my head! There are various ages in our group from 14yrs upto 60yrs. Is there anyone that can put my mind at rest? Also, as I have already booked I might as well ask what are the best things to do there - I need to keep my 14 yr old daughter occupied, are there anythings nearby we can travel to out of Byron Bay? Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

Yep..the image is spot on..it's also FULL of families..it is not the idyllic quiet beachside paradise that most OS visitors imagine. Driving thru the main street is a major headache and forget about parking..we watched a near punch up last year for a spot..

You are only just over an hour to the Gold Coast for theme parks, shopping and for Quieter beaches head about 10-15mins north to ocean Shores or brunswick heads..

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

Hi

I wouldn't damn it too much - there are fantastic beaches where you can be the only person for hundreds of metres! OK you might need to drive a little but it is possible to get away from the crowds.

Instead of the town beach go to Tallows or another of the out of town beaches. Go early I've seen dolphins cruising the beaches at 7am.

Granted the town will be horrible at peak times, so stay out of it! The hardest one to cater for will be the 14yr old [but that was always the case! ;-}]

What about day trips? Hinterland, coffee/avocado plantations, other towns. Get off the main highway! Mullumbimby, Tumbulgum [via Mooball, have a laugh!]

Theme parks - that will cover the 14y/o but maybe noone else.

JC

Mentioned in this post
Mullumbimby
Mullumbimby
Byron Shire, Australia
sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

where are you staying?

Have you got a car?

BTW its down from brisbane and up from sydney.

Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

I have been to Byron Bay and surrounding areas many times and have two teenage daughters and it is heavan. The most beautifu place, fantastic beaches, great restaurants and a friendly relaxed atmosphere. You can be where its busy or where its quiet. There is a new sensational resort 5 minutes out of Byron called The Byron at Byron which is also a 10 minute walk through the rain forest to Tallow Beach ( a quiet locals beach). There is sooooo much to do up there. You can do scenic flights, golf, whale watching, lighthouse walk,hang gliding, mountain bike tours, sky diving, surf school etc etc. The surrounding area are amazing, Lennox Head, Bangalow etc and some of the rainforest areas are fantastic. You have the best of both worlds, Beautiful Ocean and Beautiful Rainforrest. Look up www.thebyronatbyron.com.au and have a look.

You will love it.

Mentioned in this post
Tallow Beach
Tallow Beach
8 Reviews
Byron Bay, Australia
Bangalow
Bangalow
Byron Shire, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

I'm not disputing that Byron is lovely...it is just VERY hectic over the Christmas new year period...very much like the French Riviera...this is from personal experience of both ..Guru's family comes from this area of the world. Many of the locals are complaining of parties in residential neighbourhoods created by the rental of million dollar properties by large groups... by heading to the beaches in either direction you cna find solitude.. even the quiter beaches near town will be quite busy...

Byron has a reputation of being a trendy place to visit and has increased in popularity..the local council is struggling to keep up with infrastructure, roads etc.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

Thank you for your honesty, I would rather know now than be shocked when I arrive there. Should have done a bit more research I think! By the way to top it all I am staying at the Lord Byron Resort, which is I believe situated away from the main beach near to the town unfortunately. Many thanks to you all.

Wrexham North Wales
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

I am staying in Byron for 5 days over xmas at the GardenBurees on the reccomendation of a friend, we are two early 30's somethings without kids. I'm looking forward to it I iwll try & post a review before your visit.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

I regularly go to Byron at that time of year.If you get moving early it is not too bad. We swim laps at byron pool and then go up to clarkes beach each morning.

Go to the tourist info centre (200 metres towards the beach from the lord byron) when you get there.Some options..

-walk up to the lighthouse from the pass.

-go to the sunday craft markets

-do the dolphin sea kayaking

-have a picnic at wategoes beach and watch the sunset behind mt warning.

-climb mt warning

-go up to minyon falls..have a swim at the base of the falls..have a bbq at rummery park..drive out throught the whian whian forest.

-check out the hinterland villages.eg bangalow..have a beer at the friendly hotel eltham.

-get a kilo of prawns at the brunswick heads fish coop wash them down with an aussie chardonnay beside the river at brunswick.

-laze around the pool and watch the sydney cricket test.

Let me tell you...byron and hinterland is close to the best combination of geography,weather and lifestyle on the planet...sure as hell leaves the south wales valleys in the shade.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

Thank you Jacko for your suggestions they sound fantastic, you have certainly put me in a positive mood. I am in no doubt that Byron will be beautiful I just hope I can see that through the crowds. You are right in what you say, whatever happens it is sure to be better than the South Wales Valleys (how do you know that anyway! - have you been lucky enough to visit :]). You have been very helpful, can I be a pain and ask another question? - I am thinking of reducing my time at Byron by one day to drive upto Brisbane to take my daughter to Steve Irwin's Zoo - Have you any suggestions of a good place to stay for one night, would you consider that a worthwhile visit?.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks also to Sidman, that would be great if you could give me your opinions, very kind of you.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,068 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Byron Bay - Too hectic??

tequila I hope you don't mind my answering. The Zoo is definitley worht a visit. I'd stay In Caloundra as its the nearest holiday centre. Should take around 4 hours max to get there (try to avoid Saturday).

The other thought was for your daughter. Cheyne Horan Surf Schools operate at lennox head each day. perhaps your daughter might like to try her hand at surfing. The lessons are conducted just outside a flagged area and the kids have plenty of space to learn. Avoid the Byron schools.... this is from personal and others experiences. Some of the local surfies do not like the surf schools and will deliberately paddle thru learners and make life difficult.

Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay