We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Which Byron Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Forest National...
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Details:

Returned the Hyundai Getz, registration 103JEL to Brisbane Fortitude Valley Branch on 11th May 2007.

When we hired the car, we paid the 1st and 3rd party liability reduction fees. We were informed by the leaflet in store (of which we have a copy), that this would reduce our liability to $275. This figure was highlighted in BOLD on the leaflet. The desk attendant (Jacob) also informed us that all we would pay in the event of an accident is $275.

After an incident free journey we returned the car and were informed by the Abel staff that the car had been damaged and that we would be liable to pay $275 plus $330 accident processing fee.

The damage to the car was almost invisible and we were unaware of its presence until shown by the staff, and from our experience know that all other respectable car rental firms would have ignored it due to its insignificance. However, we understand that technically the car was damaged and therefore we were liable to pay $275.

However, the $330 accident-processing fee is unacceptable. We acknowledge that it is written in the small print of the contract, but the advertising of $275 liability is clearly dishonest, not to mention the fact that there is no justification at all for an “accident-processing fee”. Other hire companies do not have these fees, despite the claims of Abel staff to the contrary.

In addition to this, we were charged 1 day demurrage @ $53 and $277 for the repairs ($2 more than our ‘liability’).

We were therefore charged a total of $662.05, despite being told that our liability had been reduced to $275. The definition of liability is the amount that the consumer is liable to pay. The advertising of the $275 liability is clearly both dishonest and misleading and we should in fact only be liable to pay $275.

We sent this information recorded delivery to Nathan Conn at Abel on 15th June 2007 and requested a response within 30days. We have had no response.

We have called several times, but the refuses to return our call, or look into our case. We know of a few other people who have been CONNED the same way, please avoid using ABEL car rental for stressfree travel.

Thrifty provided a very good service.

Brisbane
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

I have read this report with great interest and I guess there are issue which need addressing:

On reviewing the rental in question there was new damage to the vehicle during this particular rental. On check the 4 previous rentals "quality control sheets" of the said vehicle this damage was not registered on any of these rentals.

Prior to the said vehicle departing on the rental in question it was inspected by Abel Customer Service Officer and the customer who signed off on existing damage

The customer on return of vehicle DID ACCEPT there was additional damage.

The customer stated in her forum report "Other hire companies do not have these fees, despite the claims of Abel staff to the contrary" Well I would suggest the customer and all others who have been MISLEAD by this statement click on to AVIS terms and conditions and Tripadvisor Web page or infact any car rental web page.

In as far as dumurrage is concerned is charged at the daily rate of the day of return.

Another misleading statement Nathan Conn has had discussions with the customer, furthermore her statement "We know of a few other people who have been CONNED the same way" is defamaltory, I guess one would say is an unfortunate comment to make.

On conclusion ABEL give GREAT SERVICE

George Halliday

ABEL Rent a Car

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

yes, car rental agreements are the top of the heap when it comes to small print.

"total liability" takes on a whole new meaning.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Mr Halliday

I note with interest that you completely fail to address the renters's point in his/her second paragraph:

" We were informed by the leaflet in store (of which we have a copy), that this would reduce our liability to $275. This figure was highlighted in BOLD on the leaflet. The desk attendant (Jacob) also informed us that all we would pay in the event of an accident is $275"

If your printed material states this and it is reinforced by a staff member then relying on small print to add additional fees, whilst you may legally be in the right, them in my book morally you certainly are not. Nor may I say does it lend a shred of evidence to your claim of Great Customer Service.

I wonder about any business manager that would use a travel forum to justify his position against a customer who is back in the UK, who can do little to fight back given distances and costs.

I will certainly keep this in mind and I won't take a risk with Able and will advise friends not to and will certainly keep this in mind when giving advice on travel forums in the future.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

What a load of BOLLOCKS abel car rental.

You have simply taken advantage of someone from overseas who hasnt the time to report you to the ombudsman!

I suppose you go around to pre schools turn kids upside down and take whatever coins fall out of their pockets on the basis that the coins are now on the ground, and the kids should have taken more care. PIRATE!!!!

Vineeta 9 its probably going to be a bit difficult from the UK but you should report these guys to the Consummer Commission & Tourist Board for australia. BTW saying that their is a little bit of damage to the vehicle is not an admission of anything.... Hearsay does not stand up in a court of law.

PS Abel if you dont like what ive said sue me......... im a lawyer.

New Forest National...
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Thanks for your all comments, I am just trying to make sure noone else gets cheated like the way we got cheated on our journey in australia.

Thanks for your support guys!

Brisbane
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

ABEL are thieving shysters. I rented a van from them and they marked the conditin report with scratch lines in an area where the van was damaged on the way out.

On return they noted a dent in precisley the same area and said it wasnt on the outgoing condition report which would have had a CIRCLE marked for a dent. Noone told me about circles and lines on the way out. I did no damage to the vehicle whatsoever.

I was comjpletely, and I believe intentionally, mislead by ABEL who then charge me the excess and some $330 accident processing fee.

I believe they can advertise a $29 price because they rip people off on excess which hey clearly collect and do not repair the vechicle, hence the original scratches.

They also sent the van one which had a trolley booked without the trolley and charged me for that.

NEVER EVER rent from Abel, I have had no such problems with Europcar or Hertz or Thrifty. Use them instead

Sydney
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Thanks to all for the posts - I was about to book with ABEL.

As a marketing consultant it never ceases to amaze me that some small businesses still don't understand that providing poor customer service gives short term financial gains but the damage done long term to the brand and bottom line is immeasurable. ABEL if you're reading this here is some free advice... good service takes a long time to build and can be ruined in an instant. Research has shown that integrity and public peception is directly linked to increased profit margins; if you want to avoid posts like this popping up everywhere on the internet I suggest you start providing a better service for people.. whether the small print is on your side or not!

Brisbane
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

ANyone still foolish enough to consider renting with ABEL should read the Courier Mail article of 16 April; hopefully the link wil still be live:

news.com.au/couriermail/…00.html

and if not here are the starting paragraphs:

A CAR rental business faces a string of complaints from customers alleging they were ripped off over disputed damage claims.

"Abel Rent a Car customers, including several from overseas, said they were wrongly blamed for minor scratches, then slugged with "administration processing" fees on top of excess charges.

Former staff backed the claims, saying they were under pressure to slate responsibility for incidental wear and tear back to customers, for fear of having their own wages docked.

Mel Carrol, a former manager at Abel's Roma St office, confirmed cases of staff overlooking scratches in a condition report before a car was collected by a customer, only to record them upon the car's return.

She said staff had a financial incentive to pin the damage on innocent customers who didn't pay to cap their excess.

"Because it is based on incentive sales . . . the staff member would deliberately do that," Ms Carrol said. "When (customers) come back, they could charge them $3500 (the maximum liability) and potentially also get a cut out of that."

Ms Carrol acknowledged there was a view among staff that overseas customers, including many on short stays with no time to contest claims, were soft targets.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,288 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Hahahaha

"Abel managing director Nathan Conn."

Love the name!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not book Car with Abel Car rental

Yeah Nathan's family name is a great example of nominative determinism if ever I saw one.

Then of course there is the hereditary aspect...

Mr Conn, 25, assumed control of Abel and several other businesses before his father Steven received a five-year ban from managing corporations in 2006.

All in all looks like a dreadful business copping its just desserts, and let's hope they get more as well.

It's well know that the people who actually complain all the way to Fair Trading are very much the tip of the iceberg. There'll be many others putting their bad experiences with these dudes down to life's bumps and thumps.

Cheerz Wab.