We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Good morning

we are planning a trip to Byrion Bay end of January. We live in sydney and are wondering if we should go to BB by car. We have a 2years old toddler and the idea would be to break the journey with one stop over night.

do you think it is feasible and not too much of a hassle?

We could stop on the way to BB in Port Macquarie? Any other recommended towns where we could stop for the night when we come back to sydney?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Hi,

>>we are planning a trip to Byrion Bay end of January<<

Why ?

>>do you think it is feasible and not too much of a hassle?<<

Feasible certainly. My definition of hassle would be Byron Bay.

>>We could stop on the way to BB in Port Macquarie? Any other recommended towns where we could stop for the night when we come back to sydney?<<

Forster

South West Rocks

Scotts Head

http://pacificcoast.com.au

Cheers,

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

thanks a lot

what do you mean by "why?" you dont recommend BB?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Hi,

No I don't unless you like wall to wall back packers, ferals, druggies, traffic jams, trendies, would be if they could be and ex pats. Sadly I remember the place when it was worth visiting but since the whaling station and the mill closed it's been downhill.

The hinterland is lovely as are the coastal areas both north and south.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Really much easier to fly to Ballina or Coolangatta, hire a car and then drive to BB - driving with a stop means 2 days on the road going there and then another 2 days on the road coming back to Sydney.

The highway is inland most of the way and before Taree is really boring. All interesting places require side trips eg Seal Rocks, South West Rocks, Dorrigo, Yamba.

'

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,145 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

I am another one who does not love BB for a holiday - especially with a toddler. You want somewhere with still water as an option as well as the surf. There are many other much nicer places to spend time - and you could do a day trip to Byron to walk to the lighthouse, but it is a place for a family with teens (for the the 20 somethings Oz alluded to).

I can highly recommend driving up to Yamba or Moonee Beach - great destinations for a family, or fly up to the Gold or Sunshine Coasts - look at staying at Noosaville, Cottontree or Golden Beach on the Sunny Coast, and Cooloongatta on the Goldie - much more family friendly than BB.

cheers.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Port Macquarie is lovely, but a spot I love more is Crescent Head. It's much smaller than Port, only about 45mins further north (so gets you a little closer) and there's an excellent motel that's been refurbed (with pool, gym, and a stroll to the beach / or bike ride - they offer bikes onsite). It's called The Med - www.themedch.com.au

Edited: 11:56 pm, December 31, 2017
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Thanks for your honest feedback. I have heard that B.B. is beautiful and am in a similar situation as OP. I was afraid that it would not be the right kind of place for a family. I was considering the GC but have been there often. From what I remember it is very family friendly. I am looking to travel in the first week of March. I am afraid that it might rain the whole time we are there. Do you have any thoughts?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler

Deana - start a new post as your answers will be different to the original post.

Reply to: Driving from sydney to Byron Bay with a toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Byron Bay