We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Which St Austell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Has anyone stayed at the Victoria Inn and Lodge nr St Austell - visiting area for a few days to visit the Eden Project - 2 adults and 1 teenager. Would like somewhere nice to stay but not too expensive.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Hi Jelli

Do you have any other plans in mind? Eden will take no more than a day? Did you plan on Heligan or anywhere else? Maybe try some surfing or coast walks?

Victoria as a location is good for access to the whole of Cornwall (it's right on the A30) I drive past it everytime I head home to see the folks.

And I presume you are driving? There is little to Victoria apart from the Inn, the BP Garage and the little chef!

Also when you are you headed there? Though the location is good it can get terrifically busy as it is the main arterial road through the county so may be a little noisy until late evening. And weekends (change over day) it is reduced to a crawl once schools are out!

I would suggest trawling for some of the B&Bs in the Fowey/Mevagissey areas which will give you a nice coastal fishing village to stay in with pubs and restuarants. But still hand for Eden.

There is also a Travelodge in St Austell if you want family style rooms. You then have the town for a few more facilities than Victoria.

Hope this helps some!

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

I totally agree with Cornish Pastie.

The Victoria isn't really a "nice place to stay" as it is bang on the A30. There's not even a gap between the road and the lodge! The brand new Travelodge in St Austell would be a much better choice if you are after that sort of thing. There is also the newish Travel Inn in Bodmin.

A much better idea would be to go for a B&B. And here I go agreeing with Cornish Pastie again! Try for a place in Fowey. It is less than 15 mins from Fowey to the Eden project and you'll have somewhere great to go in the evenings too. Go to www.fowey.co.uk for their tourist information site.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Many Thanks Cornish pastie and downwithblair - having trouble finding a good B&B which has vacancies next week, think it will have to be travelodge.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Hi just returned from Cornwall - thanks for suggesting we stayed in Fowey - a delightful village - stayed in a B&B just as you go in which was ok but Fowey made up for it.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Hi jelli

Another thing to consider as well is that the A30 Bodmin bypass west end right across Goss Moor is currently the scene of massive roadworks as they extend the dual carriageway across the Moor and having been down to Cornwall three times in the last month for work, I can vouch for the unbelievable weight of slow moving traffic in the area (including around Victoria).

The other posters suggestions for staying around Mevagissey or Fowey seem pretty good. Don't rule out Polperro either. If you use the Bodinnick ferry across to Fowey, you can get to Eden in 45 minutes easily.

surrey uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

We have stayed at the Victoria Inn in mid-July and yes it is very convenient being right on the A30 gives you access to alot of areas in Cornwall. The room we stayed in was immaculate with a double bed and 2 bunk beds, tv, hairdryer , tea making facilities and power shower in the bathroom. The food was excellent, we had full english breakfast on 2 days and also an evening meal. The car parking is right outside the front door. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. This place is excellent value for money and we will definitely stay here again.

Darlington, Co...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Just got back from Cornwall, stayed at the Victoria Inn. Great value for money, the rooms are clean and service good. Food ok too. Nice breakfast. Ideal location for visiting the Eden Project (by the way that's amazing). We stayed there for six nights and found plenty to do in that area. All in all we had a good holiday and would definately recommend the Victoria Inn. Hope this has helped you.

UK Midlands
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

Just arrived back after a stay at the Victoria Hotel.

Things have cahnged since some of the other comments were made.

Yes it is a conveinient position, but it is no longer on the A30 trunk road, how can that be? They have built a new section of the A30 quite away from the hotel so noise isn't an issue now.

All the staff were very helpfull and friendly and nothing seemed too much bother for them, even though they were full.

Whilst the rooms were good what I was disappointed with was the general state of the public areas. The carpet from the reception to the toilets was very dirty and the dining room carpet was breaking apart at the seams.

TIME FOR A SPOT OF TLC.

Yes St. Austell Brewery the hotel was full at the weekend, but spend some money and I'm sure that you would get more people in during the week.

Cardiff Wales
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

The forum pre-dating this are now way out of date. The A38 now by-passes Victoria, which makes the Lodge much quieter It is very much in the centre of Cornwall to be used as a base.but that is all. Brymo

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Inn and Lodge Roche, Cornwall

The previous posting to yours already states that, plus they got the road number correct. The A38 has never gone past Victoria.

Get answers to your questions about St Austell