We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

Planning our first trip to Cornwall for end of September...there's too much to do! I'm sure it won't be our last, and I don't want to cram too much into our itinerary, so being realistic - we need to choose between going to the Lost Gardens of Heligan or Lanhydrock ... Both get decent reviews. Would welcome any advice or opinions. Thanks!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

They are both very different. Lanhydrock is more formal gardens along with the wonderful house. Heligan is natural, more to see, so will take longer. I would say Heligan is unique whilst other gardens similar to Lanhydrock are about. Both are excellent, but for something a little different, maybe Heligan is worth a go.

Just my opinion though, others may well say Lanhydrock.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

It depends what interests you. If you are wanting gardens the Lost Gardens of Heligan are much bigger than Lanhydrock. But there is a very interesting house at Lanhydrock to explore - good if the weather is not too kind. As well as the gardens at Lanhydrock there are lots of lovely walks in the estate, through woodlands down to the river. Although there is also lots of walking around the Lost Gardens.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

As above, it depends if you want gardens or a historical house. I love visiting Lanhydrock, the gardens are lovely and the grounds huge and rolling, but it is the house that draws me. There is so much to see there, with a lot of local history.

But if you are purely after gardens, then it has to be Helligan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

I also love the grounds and the house at Lanhydrock - beautiful (nearly as beautiful as my favourite place in the world, Cotehele).

Edited: 11:29 pm, July 04, 2013
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

Decide when you get there and when you have checked the weather. If the weather is good you could spend a really great time walking round Heligan. It is quite a long walk - it is not for no reason they give you a compass! Allow about a half day or so for it. If the weather is a bit grim then you would be better having the option of going inside Lanhydrock (IMHO)

PS Am I the only one who finds it slightly surreal to see a sign pointing to the "Lost" Gardens?

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

Thank you all for your kind replies.... And the winner was...Lanhydrock.

We had a very dull, overcast day with showers. Managed a quick look round the gardens, had a brew in the tearoom and then nearly two hours in the magnificent house. Loved it. The gardens still had a lot of colour despite the time of year. Would look at a return trip to Cornwall May/June time and would probably spend more time in the St Austell area, so we could do a full day at Heligan.

Thanks again for the advice...Lucy Smith

7. Re: Lost Gardens or Lanhydrock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, February 04, 2016
Get answers to your questions about St Austell