We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go on a night out

Which St Austell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
where to go on a night out

hi

where would anyone recomend for a few drinks on a night out? we are late tweenties after a bit of life, maybe music and not too towny!

i went to collage in St Austell but not been there for an evening in ages.

11 replies to this topic
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go on a night out

Hi

If you mean in St Austell itself, then its just the pubs plus one nightclub.

Sat night, a lot of younger people use Wetherspoons as their base and its pretty rowdy at times. Various pubs have music/bands at different times, so it would be a case of wandering around to see whats on.

Out of town, the Rashleigh at Charlestown, and the Brittania nr Par market often have bands/music and are popular with the younger people. The local papers will have details also. Actually Charlestown is not a bad bet as its got two lively pubs and is certainly not towny.

I must admit to looking for good food on an evening out these days--must be getting old!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go on a night out

Definately Wetherspoons then on to Pulse8.

Sorry if this is towny but I do not know what towny is!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go on a night out

What a quality night out that is! : )

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go on a night out

oh indeed, makes me jealous when I think about it.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go on a night out

thanks

there was not a weatherspoons when i was there! also good for cheap drinks. We are staying at the carlyon Bay camp site so might try britania as it is close and then try wetherspoons or charlestown if not. where is pulse8?

nice to know there are some options,

I count towny as very short tight skirts or dress and very high plastic heels with inch think make up and fake designers bags with a bloke in burberry and a cap and bright white trainers! sorry i may be stereotyping no offence intended i am just getting old too!

I used to go the the pub right on the big bend by cant remembr what that was called

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go on a night out

Weatherspoons is fairly recent in the grand scheme of things, think it's been there 4 or 5 years now.

Pulse8 is in Higher Cross Street not far from the main post office.

Ahhh what you call towny my daughter would call chavs. Obviously there are some of those types there, but I am reliably informed Spoons is not like that in the main, and it's al lot less chavvy than Newquay.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the pub you are on about, it will come to me in a bit and Badcat will know it, it used to be a Hells Angel place. That's been gone a good while now.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go on a night out

That would have been the General Wolfe, one of my hangouts in my distant youth. Its been closed for many years and is now a toy shop.

I am also informed by my daughter that puls8 is now been refurbished and is now called the The Club(original eh?) and is in her words 'full of chavvy guys and slappers' but i would take that with a pinch of salt!

You can walk to the Brit in about 15mins from your campsite. it will be your closest pub.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to go on a night out

yes chavs! Pretty unlikely we will be visiting pulse8 but good to know incase.

the pub was something like sergeant or lieutenant or colonel, maybe. we went there as one of only places we could get served!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to go on a night out

ah well done badcat.

The club is out and the Britania it is then.

thanks you have been very helpful

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to go on a night out

I see you are from Plymouth. Actually that's where my daughter goes for a good night out, so probably tells you something about the night life in this part of Cornwall.

Reply to: where to go on a night out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Austell