We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

farms to stay at in Intercourse

Clinton ,MA
Level Contributor
210 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
farms to stay at in Intercourse

Looking for a farm / B&B to stay at for long w/end in May. would like to be able to experience the "real Amish" and stay in either a home or working farm. Suggestions appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

I have no personal experience with any of these, so take it for what its worth

search on trip advisors's intercourse site 'Amish Guest house and Cottage" Mitmot who posts here frequently has stayed here, reviewed this and recommends it. It appears there is no breakfast and it is of course separate from the Amish Farm, Hopefully Mitmott will give you additional details.

For farmstays, Verdant View is Mennonite Owned(worldly Mennonites-not Old Order) and gets good reviews. The Mennonite information Center website www.mennoniteinfoctr.com has a list of Mennonite owned Band B's and guesthouses

Many B and B's can arrange for their guests to have dinner at an Amish home with an Amish Family

I do think you have to realize that you will not get to stay in the same house with an Amish family and that your interactions may be limited.

Edited: 11:25 am, March 19, 2014
Clinton ,MA
Level Contributor
210 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

Thank you very much for your tips. I will certainly follow up on your suggestions.

NY
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

Hi I just saw this post. I did stay in the Amish Guest House and cottage.. It is nothing like a B&B.. You won't find an amish experience here as you would in a working farm. Basically, it is a small ranch house that is rented as a guest home for a few nights, or the cottage, which is the Dawdi house. We stayed in the Dawdi house, which means grandmother's house if I am correct. It is a converted garage, made into a very cute guest house. It is one large room with 2 queen beds, a sofa, a very small tv, a kitchen table with a real (non working) coal or wood stove and oven. There is a microwave, coffee pot, and toaster oven, and refrigerator in the room. They supply fresh bread and jam, coffee, milk, cereal, filters,paper plates, etc.for breakfast. There is no housekeeping, they leave a broom, clorox wipes, etc to straighten up. There is a nice swing on the front porch. My only problem with the place, is the bathroom. Very clean, but a small basic shower, and the sink has old fashioned cold and hot water separate spigots, so it's difficult washing. There is heat and air conditioning in the unit. The house is a 2 bedroom/living room, kitchen with one bath. The reason my friends and myself don't stay there on our summer trip, is the air conditioner is only in the living room, nothing in the bedrooms but a ceiling fan. I cannot stress enough however, how clean and well kept the property is. I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but check out their website for pictures. we were very happy there. It is not part of a farm, it is just a house on 771 in Intercourse.

Edited: 5:59 pm, March 20, 2014
NY
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

I have to mention another place. We try quite a few places here. My old reliable which I love is the best western revere inn. Very clean and feels like home to us, but it is a motel/hotel. I stayed in another place that you might like. It is a small old fashioned motel, the Orchard Inn. I was there in Oct. and I would stay again, and I'm a pain in the neck, I usually like only cookie cutter , clean modern places. The rooms at this motel are very clean, and tastefully done in shaker style furniture, white walls, with minimal decoration. A small continental breakfast is offered in the lobby, toast, yogurt, granola, cereal coffee, juice, and fruit. My complaint here is that the sinks are outside of the bathrooms, I don't' care for that, and the bathrooms are small. If they updated their bathrooms a little it would become my favorite place, however, again I cannot stress how clean the motel is, bathroom included. The grounds are breathtaking. They back up to an apple orchard, and it is across from a farm. It is on a little side road, right off route 340, and you can sit outside your room and just watch the buggys go by. They also have a beautiful gazebo to sit in. The grounds are manicured. It is the most serene place I've stayed. I was there when it was chilly, I would like to try them again in the nice weather. Check them out also, they are in Bird in Hand. If you want fancier, then I would mention the best western intercourse inn (all new and redone) or the amish view inn and suites, but these are hotels. You can't sit outside and enjoy like you can in the orchard inn, or the other place I mentioned.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

I am glad Mitmot gave better details on the 'amish Guesthouse' I guess I should of realized it was not on an Amish Farm- Its a truism in Lancaster County that any place that has AMISH in its title is NOT Amish owned.

For farmstays look at the places on the Mennonite info center website I gave you-but get better details on each-I have never stayed at any of them

NY
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

Hi Brookquarry, The owners are very nice people. I'm not sure which is which, but one was raised Amish, the other Mennonite. They both left their cultures.I believe they are part of the Stolzfus family. The wife makes the wonderful strawberry jam that is left for the guests, and I know her husband does amish tours.They are wonderful people.

Clinton ,MA
Level Contributor
210 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

Dear Mittmott and Brookquarry:

Thank you both so much for the info. I will certainly investigate these places further.The Dawdi house was one of those on my list. Orchard Inn sounds like a place that may be possible. My sister and her family have stayed at a Best Western before when they have gone to this area. I wonder if this is the Best Western you mention? I have prepared myself that the area is certainly not going to have any place that has Jacuzzi tubs but a simple shower is fine for the majority of us. Thanks again for the advice.

NY
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

The Best western revere has jacuzzi tubs but only in their one and two bedroom suites. They are usually booked well in advance, but it's worth a try. I'm not sure but the other best western intercourse inn might have them, I'm not sure, this is the place that has been totally redone on one side, and brand new on their extension.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

There are certainly places- Bed and Breakfasts and hotels-that have jacuzzi tubs, but your original post said you wanted a 'real amish stay' which suggested simple furnishings in rural surroundings..

Check the tourist website www.padutchcountry.com for the many possibilities. There are luxury Band Bs and ''resort' type hotels like the Best Western Eden. that may better fit your needs , still within a short drive of the Amish farm areas.

Edited: 12:44 pm, March 22, 2014
Beverly...
Level Contributor
306 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: farms to stay at in Intercourse

Hi,

I did send you a message about the guest house we are staying at. It is the Churchtown Manor Guest House and it is indeed on a working organic dairy farm. It has 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths and is in Narvon. You can find in the Lancaster county travel book/map and on the padutchcountry.com site.

Reply to: farms to stay at in Intercourse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Intercourse