We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport hotel easy access to town

Which Hounslow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
airport hotel easy access to town

We will be flying in from Prague to fly back to the US. Coming in the afternoon and flying out the next afternoon. Would like to stay near Heathrow but have access to maybe taking the tube into London proper? Any suggestions?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

You will probably get more answers by posting on the London forum but as you are not flying out until the afternoon it would make more sense to stay centrally unless you think you are more likely just to chill out at the hotel.

The Piccadilly tube line will get you into central London in about 45 minutes. It's well geared up to travellers with luggage and staying in somewhere like South Kensington would allow you to experience more of London.

If you do decide you would rather stay out at the airport then it would help to know your budget, days of the week that you are travelling and your departure terminal. Actually this information would be helpful whatever you decide. Thanks.

West Harptree...
Level Contributor
977 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

As adamhornets suggests, it's probably better to take the tube to South Ken. Most hotels and the area around H/R are pretty souless.

Whatever you decide to do try:

Travelodge

Holiday Inn Express

Ibis Hotels

Premier Travel Inn

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

Personally i would avoid both Travelodges although the one located close to Terminal 5 is an option should you be flying from that terminal and decide you won't be going into London.

Premier Inn (not Premier Travel Inn - they changed the name some years ago) are arguably the best of the budget chains but again there may be better options depending on your departure terminal.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

We will be leaving out of Terminal 5. I have checked the Premier Inn at West Cromwell - they are sold out. Also London Lodge is sold out. Not sure what is going on, is it unusual for them to sell out? Not at all familiar with London as to what is in what area, but would love the idea of hopping on the tube to get to the airport instead of staying out that way. Any specific hotel in a specific area would be helpful for me to check. Thanks so much.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

What dates are you looking at and for how many people? That may well affect availability.

There is another Premier Inn in Knaresborough Place that is normally decent value and in a slightly better location than the one on West Cromwell Road. Base2Stay, K&K George and the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum are others to try.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

May 23rd, 2 people

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

Hmmm. Strange that both PI Kensington properties are shown as being full that day.

You could leave it a few weeks and check again or it might be worth sending them an e-mail. The nearest option would be their Victoria property which is actually a little more central although it will take longer to reach Heathrow from it.

I see Base2stay has availability for that night as does the K&K. Not sure of your budget but both hotels are certainly worth considering.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

I think we might just stay at the airport. I was thinking our flight left at 1330 but turns out it is 1130, which means we need to be at the airport around 0930...might get mixed with commuter traffic, etc. Might play it safe and just stay put. So.....anything nice to do around Heathrow?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

You'd be going against the direction of commuter traffic that early. All I'd suggest is you pick a hotel in the South Kensington, Gloucester Road, Earls Court area so you don't have to worry about changing Tube trains.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airport hotel easy access to town

Why don't you book yourself into the Premier Inn on Bath Road and just relax. The hotel itself has excellent reviews. I've started staying there now instead of the Marriott. The food there is reasonably priced, there are plenty of sofas to chill out on and they have sports events projected onto the atrium wall. You can watch these from the pub style seating area. They also have benches outside at the back where you can watch the aircraft land while having a pint.

You can also walk across the road and about 5-7 minutes away on foot is the Airport Bowl where you can go ten-pin bowling. .

I see what you mean about playing it safe and there is nothing wrong with doing it this way.