We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanting to get to Malmesbury from Mablethorpe

Sutton-On-Sea
1 post
Save Topic
Wanting to get to Malmesbury from Mablethorpe

I want to travel to Malmesbury to meet up with friends but i live quite a distance and do not drive. While its a possibility to get someone to travel with me (hence get there by car) id rather be able to get there under my own steam if possible.

So, train or coach then? My question is can someone help me find out the best (in terms of least transfers and time) way to get there? I have attempted to find train routes but not had much luck.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanting to get to Malmesbury from Mablethorpe

The nearest rail stations is Swindon, from where there is an hourly bus service to Malmesbury, taking about an hour

wiltshire.gov.uk/bustimetablemalmesbury.pdf

has the details

London to Swindon is an easy train ride - just over an hour I think

Getting to London is the problem - there's a National Express coach from Mablethorpe once a day. By train it's a long bus ride (?Skegness?) to a station then at least one change on the train.

Coach from London to Swindon might be the best bet as well - it saves the bother of getting between bus/rail stations in London and Swindon

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanting to get to Malmesbury from Mablethorpe

The traveline journey planner comes up with coach from Mablethorpe to Peterborough, train to London KX, underground to Paddington, train to Swindon - it didn't find the hourly bus service that previous poster mentions but this looks like best option for final leg (or get your friends to take pity on you and pick you up from Swindon :))

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanting to get to Malmesbury from Mablethorpe

The easiest way to get the bus times from Swindon to Malmesbury is actually to download the timetable direct from the bus company's own website - www.andrew-james.co.uk/timetablepdfs/aj31.pdf .

However, I don't envy you having to make this journey by public transport - I hope your friends are worth it !

4. Re: Wanting to get to Malmesbury from Mablethorpe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Malmesbury
Recent Conversations