We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge

We are driving on a Thursday 8th May from Portsmouth late lunch time to Stonehenge possibly arriving about 2/3pm is there enough time to see Stonehenge properly. We know we have to pre book tickets. And closing time is 6pm.Also any suggestions for accommodation, as we will have to pre book that I assume, arriving so late in the day. B+B's or small hotel for one night.? Any personal recommendations gratefully received, of course we will check TA reviews.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge

Hi, 2 hours should be sufficient at Stonehenge; maybe longer if you want to walk across the fields.

You ask about accommodation - where are you headed after Stonehenge?

Southampton
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge

There is a Holiday Inn at Amesbury now at Solstice Park, about 5 mins drive away. If you are continuing along the A303 west there are hotels on the services towards Somerset out of Wiltshire.

I must admit, I don't find I spend a lot of time at Stonehenge, I find it un-inspiring, but a good hour will do the tour around the stones.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge

I think two hours may well be the norm from now on, as you have the new visitor centre and displays plus the shuttle train up to the monument with waiting times at both boarding locations. Also the cafeteria is much larger now and actually has indoor seating. Incredible. You can now grab a sandwich and not get soaked.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge

We are headed west to Somerset, probably Boscastle/Padstow area. Because we think it could be late afternoon finishing at Stonehenge, we didn't want to drive on without accommodation booked. We are quite happy to drive further on if we have a nice B+B or small hotel waiting with a pub near by for dinner. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge

Yes we are heading west to Somerset, by services do you mean service roads? If A303 is the main road, then yes.Yes, maybe we will find the stones uninspiring too, hubby is already non plussed, but it is something to tick off the list as a major must see as we are passing by.We probably won't be back in this part of UK again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge

We will be arriving in the Stonehenge area around 7:00 at night on our way to London and would like to stop off for a look and get some pictures to show we were there. Can you get a good view from the side of the road, or is it too far away?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge

You can get a view of it, but it is not safe (or legal) to stop as the A303 road is very busy and often very fast.

P-t-B

8. Re: Stonehenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 13, 2015