We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About 2 days in SJDS

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
About 2 days in SJDS

We will be arriving around 3 PM and will have the whole next day. We will also have the following morning before we head to Costa Rica, where we will stay at a ranch, explore one of the volcanoes, and go scuba diving.

What would you say is not-to-be-missed in/ very near SJDS? We would prefer to see "the real Nicaragua" and do things that we can't do in Costa Rica.

I speak Spanish, if that matters or opens up any options.

I know this is a broad question, but I am hoping for a place to start...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About 2 days in SJDS

I don't think "the real Nicaragua" exists in San Juan del Sur. It is very heavily influenced by the ex-pat community that has turned it from a fishing village to what it is today. Given the limited time frame you have, your best chance to get a sense of southern Nicaragua is to visit Granada. You pretty much pass through Granada on your way to SJdS which is 75 minutes further south. There is a wide variety of good accommodation there and plenty to see in the surrounding area. Over a couple of days you could easily visit 4 major churches and 3 museums in this "White" colonial city, the Isletes, the Masiya Volcano (National Park where you park right next to an active crater) and Laguna Apoyo, a scenic protected fresh water lake located in a crater. There are hotels and guest houses around the rim at Luguna Apoyo as well as down by the shore (20 minutes to 1/2 and hour from Granada). You might also stop by the "old market" in Masiya and take a look at the crafts there ... many will be the same ones you see in Costa Rica at twice the price (CR vendors frequently buy their crafts from Nicas). You can probably hire a taxi driver for a day for $50 to take you to these places. A tour agency will charge you 3 or 4 times this amount for a comprehensive tour.

There are direct tourist class buses to Liberia and San Jose, Costa Rica as well as tourist transfer services that you can catch to CR. You can also take a taxi to the border, walk across (.75 km, porters available) and catch another taxi on the other side. If you have not done that sort of travelling before, I suggest you catch one of the tourist buses or vans.

Happy Trails

Edited: 9:15 pm, March 31, 2013
Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About 2 days in SJDS

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your input. So do you think it would be easy to find a taxi driver to take me for the day, and really just $50? I am waiting for quotes from 2 tour companies but I imagine they will be more expensive. Are the taxis generally safe/ reliable? I am thinking of my time in Mexico City where you have to be a bit careful with taxis.

3. Re: About 2 days in SJDS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 02, 2014