We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The right place to stay?

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
2 posts
Save Topic
The right place to stay?

Hi,

I will probably stay for a month in San Juan del Sur and am still looking for a nice place to stay. Pelican eyes looks a bit expensive, but on the internet I really can't see much difference between the mid-class hotels like Hotel Gran Oceano, Villa Isabella, Hotel Casablanca?

Just looking for a nice, clean place to stay with warm water and A/C. Anyone can help me out on this one? Thanks..

Stefan

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
66 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The right place to stay?

I am only familiar with Villa Isabella and would definently recommend it, especially if you're staying for a month. I think it would be more lie home than a hotel would be. Jane and Mike are awsome hosts and you can learn a ton about the area from them. Breakfast is AWESOME! I don't think you would be disappointed. When are you going and what are you going for? We'll be there this July.

Amsterdam
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The right place to stay?

I will still have to wait some time before going to Nicaragua. September/October probably. But i'd like to have things arranged as much as possible, especially for a country like this. I will go there to learn spanish, and they told me Nicaragua is the place to be if you want to combine it with relaxing and some surfing.

While you're there in july, and you accidently pass by Gran Ocean, could you check it out for me? They gave me some pretty good rates, but can't find too many reviews on this place.

Have fun there in july. I'll be in Florida by that time, not too bad either ;)

Thanks,

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
66 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The right place to stay?

Will check out Gran Ocean and let you know when we return!!

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The right place to stay?

I stayed at Villa Isabella for 2 nights in March 2006. Very nice place and I agree Mike is very nice and helpful and the breakfasts are indeed wonderful. I ended up moving to Casa Blanca only because I wanted to save a little money. If I recall rightly, VI was about $80/night or so and CB was $45 or 50. VI was nicer looking, but CB had AC, hot water and t.v. too. Hope this helps. CLH 409

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The right place to stay?

I just returned from 8 days in SJDS. Started out at Pelican Eyes and had a bad experience (my review should be up in a couple of days) - it's not worth the price in my opinion. Ended up down the hill at Gran Oceano, which is not fancy, but was fine for us (hot water shower, cold AC, cable TV, breakfast, 2 min walk to beach). We didn't look at any of the other hotels, but there are at least a dozen decent looking ones of the same type in SJ.

One suggestion - if you want to go sailing/fishing with Pelican Eyes, you should book early. We were disappointed to find that they were booked solid for several days.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
66 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The right place to stay?

Checked out Gran Oceano for you last week. It appears to much in the same class of accomodations as Villa Isabella. They're very close to one another. If it is considerably cheaper then you could give it a try. Nothing says you have to remain there the entire month. I'm still a big Villa Isabella fan, and I love Jane. She is a wonderful resource person.

USA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: The right place to stay?

I too am only familiar with Villa Isabella and concur with the previous writer. It's a value place to stay. If you want a 'true' cultural experience you can contact the Spanish school and they arrange for a "home stay" with locals who open their homes to you, feed you, and a place to practice your Spanish. Likely no A/C.

Spokane Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The right place to stay?

I visited SJDS in early Febuary 07. I stayed at the Rebecca Inn for a few nights. Inexpensive and very clean. Many backpacker's for every country imaginable are visitors to Rebecca Inn. Martha is the owner operator.

USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The right place to stay?

the isabella is amazing!! nice people-- this house is for rent there as well-- it's an all inclusive type of deal - owners are great-- so is staff www.sanjuanbeachhouse.com . I'm not sure what the rate is but they might be able to work something out for you

san mateo
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The right place to stay?

I would recommend that you stay at Las Cascadas ,the new b/b just outside of town. I just stayed there and it blew my mind, check out there website...www.lascascadasbandb.com....I hope you enjoy San Juan.....j95m