We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone

Surrey, BC
Level Contributor
38 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone

Is it best to go with Claro or Movistar? We will have an unlocked cell phone for our 2 week trip to SJDS.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone

Hello 15290,

In my opinion i think Movistar is a little better than Claro. The service with both companies are good but i would say Movistar is the best bet.

Kind Regards,

Jimmy Davidson

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone

If you unlock your cellphone you can buy both chips they only cost 3 dollars and comes with minutes, BTW Claro is the biggest company in Nicaragua and the one that has more antennas all around Nicaragua and in my opinion as a tour guide i rather use claro because movistar doesn´t have as large cover area as Claro.

Fort Collins...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone

I will be in Nicaragua in late May - early June. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and will have it unlocked. I have been told by T-mobile that I can purchase a micro sim card and just put it in my phone and use the towers in Nicaragua for a small service fee. Has anyone done this? Can you advise me which company to buy the Sim Card from?

4. Re: Cell phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 23, 2014