We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

Honeymooning in SJDS for a week in late May. I've read that Piedras y Olas has noisy construction going on. We value our peace and quiet, but apart from that just want to hang out by the pool, walk on the beach, and take a couple of fishing trips. Is it worth doubling our cost to stay at Morgan's?

Auberry, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

There is four of us visiting SJDS in Nov. and we too are concerned about the constructiona and noise at Piedras y Olas. I've e-mailed the hotel about our concerns but have'nt heard back from them yet. Will you please give a report when you get back on where you stayed? Thank-x!

Half Moon Bay...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

Morgan's Rock is a terrific spot for a honeymoon -- very scenic and peaceful (once you've weathered the extremely rough roads on the way to the resort). You can be as lazy or as active as you like when you're there. The open air rooms overlooking the cove are very relaxing, the beach is clean and not at all crowded (it's open only to MR guests, so you'll usually have it all to yourself). I haven't been to Piedras y Olas, but If you're just looking for peace & quiet in a nice setting, you can't go wrong with MR. We didn't do any fishing there, but I'm sure if you give them a call they can set up a trip for you. The staff are very helpful.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
6 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

I've not stayed at Morgan's Rock, but Pelican Eyes was very special, and the construction was largely on the streets of SJDS, not at the resort (I was there April 5-8). There was some construction at the resort, but we did not hear it/see it except when we exited/entered the property.

I think the biggest difference is that Pelican Eyes is walkable to the town of SJDS and you can check out other restaurants, shops, etc. At Morgan's Rock, you will need to drive 30+minutes to get to town. So, that may help you determine where you want to stay depending on what you're looking for during your honeymoon. Maybe stay several days at both?

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

Morgans Rock and Piedras y Olas are both nice hotels, but they are very different. Most of Morgans Rock's villas sit directly above a deserted cresent beach and you hear the crashing waves from your room. The beach coudn't be more perfect. You will be surrounded by nature and wildlife. Most vistors spend their time on property, though trips to San Juan Del Sur are fairly easy (30min each way).

Piedras y Olas sits directly above the town of San Juan Del Sur. It is an easy 5 min walk into town, and a somewhat strenuous ten minute walk return. It is great if you are looking to spend a lot of time in a beach town environment, but the hotel is not close to the beach....about a 10-15 minute walk to the town beach, and the beach in town is not a great beach.

They are both upscale environments. They both have nice pools, good restaurants and bars.

Morgans Rock is more about seclusion, relaxation, and nature activities, while Olas y Peidras allows guests easier access to the Nicaraguan culture.

san Jose, California
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymooners - Morgan's Rock or Piedras y Olas

Just got back two days ago from 3 nights at Morgan's Rock, which was more than excellent-we wish we would have stayed longer and we will go back.. The website is great, but it does not truly reflect how beautiful the place is. We also went to SJDS and had a drink at the bar at Piedras y Olas. I sure hope you chose Morgan's Rock, since from what I saw there was no comparison. The construction is on-going, and although the view is nice, it is a long way from the beach! The beach a Morgan's Rock is so peaceful and beautiful, and there a great ranchitas which have hamocks, chairs, tables and lounges-perfect!!