We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

I had originally though it would be best to be located right in town so that we had easy access to beach bars, restaurants, etc, but the more I look at some of the accomodation up in the hills, the more I think I'd like to be surrounded by the lush jungle environment with a pool and views of the ocean (travelling at the start of January).

I'd like to spend $70-$90 per night with a nice pool area and relaxing spots to sit around the property, so that is why these ones caught my attention, but I'm having troubles deciding which (travelling with my boyfriend and we are 29/31 years old). We will have just spent 9 days in the Corn Islands, so may be looking to get out do more than just relax at the property, so if it is going to be too difficult to get to/from town from either of these, then I would probably just find a spot in town, but seems like it would be worth taking a shuttle (Casa De Olas advertises free ones - not sure if this is only up to a certain time?), or walking/cabbing to town and cabbing back later (which would be fine if cabs are easy to come by and only $4 or $5 which I thought I had read).

Thank you!

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
972 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

Are you there over New Year's, or right after? My BF and I will be in SJDS right before New Year's and a couple days after before we go to Ometepe. I think we already tried to book both of those hotels and they told us they were full for the dates we wanted :( Las Palmas was for sure, but your dates might be different. SJDS is the only place we haven't booked for our trip yet because we have been having a rough time finding a nice place with rooms available. But again, that's right on New Year's so I can't say I'm surprised.

Maybe we we'll run into each other, lol. We're 28/27, also from Canada :)

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

Ah nice! We're spending New Years in the Corn Islands and then plan to head over to San Juan del Sur afterwards since so many places there were extra expensive over New Years, so probably not until the 5th or so. Sylvan Lake! Actually grew up in Airdrie and my uncle wrote a CBC movie called Sylvan Lake Summer back in the 80's haha.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

We loved posada azul. An oasis right in town

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

Ah I did see that one too and their rates after January 5th are not terrible (still seems a little expensive, but so does a lot of SJDS).

Would it make sense to spend a couple of nights up on the hill and also a couple down in town?

I also heard back from Hotel Maracuya - there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them on TA, but it is only $29 for a double room ($18 more with A/C) after January 1st. No pool, but the location seems good and the rooms appear to be clean and nice.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
972 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

Small world, J9ie, haha. We actually head to Ometepe on the 5th ><

We did finally get a room in SJDS just this morning - we're staying at Casa Pelon now. I was starting to worry we'd have to go somewhere else instead of SJDS. I don't know the rate we got offhand though, it was my BF that received the confirmation and arranged the booking.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

Oh good, glad you found something. I just received an email back from Hotel Maracuya - they have double rooms available over NYE for $80/night ($29/nt after January 1st)... not much info on them but the rooms look not too bad from their website. I was going to pass that along in case you guys were still stuck!

I may switch our schedule around still... failed to check before I booked our flights that the Corn Islands can still be pretty rainy in Dec/Jan. Not sure if we should just wing it and stay there anyways, or avoid them now... nobody wants to leave a Canadian winter behind for bad weather if they can help it! :)

7. Re: Casa De Olas or Las Palmas B&B?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 20, 2013