We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

My Wife and 2 children (ages 13 & 15) will be renting a house in San Juan Del Sur for a week at the end of June. We have traveled throughout Central America but this is our first time in Nicaragua. We are interested in day trips within a 2 hour drive of SJDS. We rented a 4 X 4 for the week. SJDS has lots to do right near town but we want to get away from the area and explore a little. We are the outdoorsy type so Volcano's, etc would be great but we also would like to see some city life or even a less touristy beach area than SJDS.

Ideas apprecaited.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

2 or 3 day trips you can do from SJDS One of them Is the city of Granada and a boat ride on Lake Nicaragua, another can be Masaya volcano, Masaya Market, Masaya city, Catarina view point, San Juan de Oriente poterry town, and another can be Mombacho cloud forrest and the canopy tour.

If need in put everything together let me know will be my pleasure to help you.

Byron

San Juan del Sur...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

Granada? it's even more touristy there than San Juan del Sur.

Try Ometepe - two volcanoes that form an island in central america's biggest lake. This is one of the few lakes that had fresh water sharks (i hear they're mostly gone now). It's less touristy - no activity coordinators trolling the interweb - and the ferry takes cars so you can drive around on the island which has very few public transportation options. The Ojo de Agua is a lagoon in the jungle that many people go to. Lots of monkeys here as well.

Playa Gigante is an hour and a half north of SJDS and is less developed. The beaches are pristine and there are still 2-3 choices for restaurants. Aqua is a luxury hide away resort with tropical cooking classes, yoga, and a fantastic bakery. There's a skate park at Buena Honda hotel (maybe for the kids?) and golfing at Hacienda Iguana.

Popoyo (the name of a surf break, but also used to identify the beach) is sometimes called Guasacate - is a little heaven for surfers and off-the-beaten-path tourists. The "town" is 3 to 4 businesses on a dead end road where the river meets the ocean. It's 1.5 hours north of San Juan del Sur. I've been wanting to rent a kayak and go explore the river. There are natural springs you can visit for a dollar - different pools for different temperatures. This is near a "town" (really a few farms clustered together) that makes salt - you will see salt beds near the road.

Also in my opinion - there is no city life in Nicaragua worth seeing on vacation. Managua is not navigable - few street names and sprawling neighborhoods mish-mashed together after the big earthquake in the 70s. Granada is a tourist trap - especially with the "calazada" - it feels like Times Square or Downtown Disneyworld. it's a main road that has been closed down to cars, but the businesses near by are obviously for tourists (ie: Irish Bars, souvenir shops)

Buena Suerte

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

A day trip to ometepe is a very good option just remember that you will need the phone of the ferry because you have to have a reserve space to go there, the other option is going by taxy there and rent car or a van for the day in ometepe will be less expensive cause only the transit on the ferry will be about $40 or $50 US same amont of money that you will pay for a van in Ometepe to take you everywhere if need a guide on the island look for Erick or the staff fron UGO Union De guias deOmetepe, nice spot on the island Museo el Caibo the only one in Nicaragua that show you the Nicaraguan Currency since the indigenous time, Altagracia with the precolumbian statues, Ojo the agua a nice water spring in the middle of now where and a nice lunch in Villa paraiso. this is why you will need a local person to show you around.

if need more help let me know

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

Enlightenj..How can you call Granada a tourist trap when it has only one street that caters to tourists....both nica and foreign. Two blocks away from this and you are in local territory..markets, tile factories, residences, churches and hardware supplies. Did you leave Calzada? We spent a total of 45 days and ate on Calzada twice although i did have coffee several times at the Dario

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

Thank you Dave.

6. Re: Day trips from San Juan Del Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur